Small Aperture?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by julie32, Feb 17, 2008.

1. julie32

julie32 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys,

Ok, so I read Peterson's Understanding Exposure and I thought I understood the concept of using a small aperture for a "storytelling" shot, i.e as much as possible in focus.
    I was trying to photograph my nephew outside today around 4:30pm. It was still bright outside.
    I was in Av mode, set the aperture to F22, ISO 100 and let the camera pick my SS. Well, at F22, the SS was 2.5 seconds. And clearly I'm not photographing a moving kid in a 2 seconds without serious blurr.

I guess I don't understand how if I'm staying with a small aperture, how can I get a quicker shutterspeed with good exposure?

Thank you

2. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That doesn't sound like it was "still bright outside." Consider bright sunlight with ISO 100. A typical setting would be 1/60 second at f/16 or 1/30 second at f/22. You're some six stops darker than that!

3. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    smaller aperture means less light but greater DOF. If you really want to use an aperture that small, then your only option is bump up the ISO until you get an acceptable SS. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you may not need an aperture that small. I've never heard of a story telling shot.

4. julie32

julie32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I thought the camera was supposed to choose the correct shutterspeed when I'm in Av mode and I choose the Aperture. So, I'm not getting why it was 2.5 seconds. 4:30pm is still bright.....

5. StreetShark

StreetShark TPF Noob!

I'm sure the f/8 would be fine. I read that f/8 is about what a human eye sees normaly or something. and that would be th correct shutter speed for such a small aperture. Small aperture = less light entering the lens therefor the shutter need to be open longer to obtain the light needed.

6. julie32

julie32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    TCimages.... thanks for your response. Bryan Peterson talks about using F22 to limit the DOF and have most of your image in focus. He calls it a storytelling aperture. So, I wanted to have as much as possible in focus and limit my DOF, but I was getting too slow a SS and I didn't understand. I guess even though I thought it was bright outside, it wasn't. Thanks, I should have raised the ISO....

7. julie32

julie32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    At F8-- I had a lot of DOF still...and I didn't want that.

8. StreetShark

StreetShark TPF Noob!

what focal length?

9. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it was ISO 100 and you have 2.5 seconds, raising it to 800 it still very slow for the moving kids. Did you mean 1/2 second? but even if it was 1/2 second raising to 800 iso you will still at 1/16 of a second. I think you need to raise the aperture by extra 2 clicks or 3 clicks to get at least 1/60.

10. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's actually what's happening. It's choosing a shutter speed for the proper exposure based on your aperture setting.

The ISO should help ya or maybe flash if that's an option

11. julie32

julie32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the helpful info guys...

12. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I remember correctly, what he was refering to as "storeytelling" at f/22 was to get the entire field of vision in focus. With that, I took it as a vast landscape where the distant objects could be miles away and still be in focus. If you're in the backyard, try f/8 to f/11 if your shutter speed is too slow. If it is still too slow, bump up the ISO. Think of it as the most acceptable compromise to achieve your desired result.