Small Business Venture

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Pixie42, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Pixie42

Pixie42 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I want to make a very small business taking boudoir photos. I realize this is a small market, and I won't get rich quick (or maybe ever!) and eventually I will blossom into other fields, but this is where I would like to start.

There's just something I really like about this type of photo. I want to do sessions in the clients home, lasting about 2-3 hours. What equipment do I need? What are some cheap lighting options? I need to find a black portable backdrop, ideas?? What props do you recommend? I already have some ideas, just looking for input from the pros. :thumbup:

For the next while I am enlisting the help of friends to be my subjects and help me get used to my new camera, as well as give me some experience directing people and just plain getting some good shots. I am not planning on starting this venture until I am confident in what I am doing, I just need to know what are the basic things I will need so I can impliment them starting now.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

2. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Before you go forward with this, how sure are you about your safety going to the homes of strangers?

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's probably not as small as you think...although, you probably won't get rich quick, but you never know until you try.

There isn't really any right or wrong answer here. You may be able to use nothing but natural window light, and shoot the subjects on their bed/in their home...maybe the only accessory would be a reflector.
    Or, on the other hand, you could bring in a portable background stand and a truck load of lights.

What do you consider cheap? As with most things, it would probably be better to buy something better (and more expensive) at the start, rather than buying something cheap that will only need to be replaced once you find that it's limiting you ability to get the job done.

Practice and experience will help you get better but also to know what equipment you need and what you can work without. There are several books on studio lighting, natural lighting and any type of photography you can think of...so I'd suggest checking out a few books to get you started.

4. Pixie42

Pixie42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks.

I have no problem paying for things that will last me. Like a portable backdrop, where do you even get one? I have a lot of ideas that involve having a black background so I'd definitely invest in something like that.

There are a lot of things I need to acquire. I'm excited though, it's something I've wanted to do for a very long time.

5. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

Check the links to Adorama and B&H for comercial backdrops. A good fabric shop is a good place for wide fabrics in various patterns and colors. Do a search on the net, there is an abundance of information out there.

Good luck with your business. Try to find a workshop on running a small business. Local unemployment agencies is a good starting place for direction to these.

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I ordered a background stand from Amvona.com...I believe it's a 'Dynatran' stand. It's pretty solid and the price was pretty good as well...although shipping was pretty high.

For lights, you may want to check out www.Alienbees.com

7. Pixie42

Pixie42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for all the advice, I found a 5 hour workshop from a local photographer that is all about running a small business, I am very excited to attend.

That's a great site, thank you. What lighting and reflector do you recommend for indoor portrait and body shots?

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As with everything else....it depends :er:

It's almost always better to have more powerful lights because you can turn them down but you can't get more out of them that the max. However, in a small space, you may not ever need a whole lot of power.

I'd suggest a softbox. Umbrellas are quick and easy but a softbox gives you more control. The bigger the better, but keep in mind that you may be limited by your ceiling height. For a reflector, bigger is better.