Small Business

Brandonlee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im 19 and I wanted to start a small business on the side. I have been working with phtography for about 3 years and into graphic design for about 8-10 years. I wanted to start a small business on the side just for some extra cash but I dont know know where to get started. :/

I did my first photoshoot recently with my cousin's friend who wanted pregnancy photos done. I did it for free just to get into the swing of things. But any help would be appreciated.

I want to offer portrait photoshoots like prgrnancy, children, glamour shots, etc.

and I also want to be able to sell my landscapes that I do.

Overall I want to get into fashion and commercial photography and be able to sell them but that isnt until later. I want to start off with this small business and if it goes well, move into something better.

If I will have a free time, I can help you with web site ;)
See details in this topic

You started learning Graphic Design at the age of 9? :confused:

You started learning Graphic Design at the age of 9? :confused:

i was going to mention that too (i started learning GD at 17, and thought THAT was early)...but whatever...lol

honestly...i think that you should really focus on learning your craft(s) and positioning yourself well for a future in it..IF that's indeed the direction you want to go.
as far as the business end of it...if you sell some prints...cool...sell some stock...cool. but as you can read from many many "i wanna start a business" posts on here, photography (like many other industries) is VERY competitive. being yet another guy on craigs list who will do weddings and sessions is not the way to root yourself. not saying that;s what you're planning.
take tons of shots...if you dont have a flickr already, get one. (or another comparable photo hosting site). if GD is something you want to combine with your photography skills, that's awesome! keep learning the fundamentals of layout and typography, color theory, the printing process, etc...play play play! if you want your own website...check out some photographers' sites, and make one. (that alone is great experience and you'll learn a ton just making your own site).
if you can earn some money via word of mouth...that;s fantastic. but i would say, for now, just continue soaking up knowledge and experience.
this community is here to offer advice, critique, and support.
i look forward to seeing your work.:thumbup:

*edit* get some business cards too...next time you do a shoot for a friend...hand em out. networking is key.

Good for you.

I know some really good photographers that can't make 10 cents from their images. On the other side I know some so-so photographers that make big money from their images.

The difference is, the so-so photographers know how to run a business and the good photographers don't.

How good are you at using Excel and Word?

Here's some relevant info for you: 10 Pricing Challenges and Strategies for Photographers.

You could be seeking out these kinds of photography business articles.

A couple of book recommendations:
Best Business Practices for Photographers
By John Harrington..... www.johnharrington.com and it's worth while to follow his blog.

Professional Business Practices in Photography
This is a collection of articles published by the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP)
www.asmp.org

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back