Small camera

mustangman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
tech.groups.yahoo.com
I am looking to upgrade to a new camera. My last one was kinda big and bulky. It was also 5 years old. I am looking for something that is easy to use, god quality pictures and small. Small and easy to carry is the most important. I see Casio is making some small ones. Any recommendations?

Still looking for suggestions

you may want to check www.dpreview.com for reviews and you can also do side by side comparisons of cameras.

sorry i'm not too knowledgeble!

mustangman said:
I am looking to upgrade to a new camera. My last one was kinda big and bulky. It was also 5 years old. I am looking for something that is easy to use, god quality pictures and small. Small and easy to carry is the most important. I see Casio is making some small ones. Any recommendations?
Canon, Samsung and Olympus have tiny cams too. Like Innocence says: check http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp. Or http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html.

At some point in time, I fear, "small" camera (as in "really small") and "large print" no longer go together. But I could get double-A4-sized pics from the 5mb of my Canon Powershot. Easily. (I would try for larger if only I could find someone to PRODUCE larger prints for me). If that is a remark that helps?

They can get pretty small. My wife uses a Sony digital cam that is about the size of a short stack of business cards. She can put it in her purse and forget it is there. The images it makes are just fine and I print 8 1/2 X 11's for her whenever she wants them. It is about a year old and has 4 mp I think. It doesn't take a sophisticated camera to make good images. It takes a sophisticated eye.

I use a Casio z120 7.20mpxl and I have been very happy with it. It has a lot of the features you would expect on a good prosumer camera and the price isn't to bad either. Check it out on dpreview.

You can print 8 1/2 X 11's from a 4mp file. Provided you haven't cropped it.
Once you start cropping and editing, you lose pixels annoyingly fast. So if you're into that it's better to have exposures with as many pixels as possible before you start the editing. This on the basis of the (wrong) assumption that if you have many pixels to begin with, you can more easily afford to lose some.
Anyway, this fall 2006 that would mean you should look at 10mp cameras. There's a whole crop of those. Both in Point & Shoot cams as in dSLR's.

Those big megapixel files have a considerable downside though: your PC must schlepp those ginormous files around and crunch 'm when editing, rendering and displaying. You need a serious PC for that! Better still, a Mac of course ;–) Most likely your current PC will slow down to a crawl with files like that tumbling through Photoshop....

Walk-in's.

Go to your best but or if you're lucky photography shops and take a few snapshots and see how the look.

I'd reccomend since we're up and caught up with technological advances, keeping it above 5.0MP is safe proof for some good quality pictures.

Keep in mind the photographer is what makes the art, just that...art.

You can have the most expensive and best quality cam, but if you stink at photography it's worthless.

:DI plan on checking out the cmera your wife uses. I tought I had settle but so many great suggestions.

Still looking for suggestions

My yahoo group

fmw said:
They can get pretty small. My wife uses a Sony digital cam that is about the size of a short stack of business cards. She can put it in her purse and forget it is there. The images it makes are just fine and I print 8 1/2 X 11's for her whenever she wants them. It is about a year old and has 4 mp I think. It doesn't take a sophisticated camera to make good images. It takes a sophisticated eye.

I have used the Casio Exliem ex-Z750 It is very small has good resolution, and one of the best Manual modes as far a point and shoot cameras go IMO. It has a nice big screen too.

However It didn't take we long to start wanting more. Now I own a canon 20D, after I realzed that size didn't really matter to me as much as taking good photos whithin reason. Basically just remember that with point and shoot cameras you are stuck with one lense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back