Small event photos

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Summer75, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Summer75

Summer75 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well for this upcoming event I feel pretty comfortable with it for the most part (other than the fact it is so large which is new to me). It is completely indoors with even florescent lighting everywhere (thus I control the lighting as I will be having my own external light with me.... going to bring my flash on a lightstand with a softbox attached and carry it around with me). It is mostly candid shots (which is my strong point) and all posed photos are at the photo booth (where I will have my key light and fill light setup in advance). So this volunteer event is one that I feel pretty good about actually. The last one was outdoors as it was getting dark and the light was different at every angle I turned, so I was constantly adjusting my settings of my flash and my camera. This event will be pretty even throughout lighting wise. I am looking forward to the experience though, as all photography can help me grow and learn more everytime. I do want more in the experience department as I think that will help me not to make those silly mistakes that I still occasionally do. That is a matter of experience and continued practice I think.

You are correct though, even for volunteer it does have a cause and it is important to do well. The cause is for a good one and they do have expectations (rightly so) as well.

2. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I've always felt that getting everybody at the event into at least one photo is very important to the client.
    If some are not so good then I'll work Photoshop Magic to make them as good as I can. I'm not at the event to show my ability as a photographer, I'm there to document the event for the client.

3. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I think it all depends on the size of the event and what the client needs and how the photos will be used. Part of documenting an event for a client I think would be doing it well. It seems like it does show the photographer's ability.

If the venue is well lit that's a help. I don't know how well it will work to cart equipment around with you. Shooting an event takes having awareness of other people moving thru the room/venue (more so at games or events with big crowds). Depending on what kind of event it is there could be wait staff, ushers, attendees, guests, etc. all moving about.

Usually it's necessary to know the schedule of events, if there are significant speakers or people in attendance that you'd need to include in photos, or any sponsor names/signage etc. that needs to be photographed.