Small event photos

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am wondering about a little dilemma I have. I recently did a small event (about 25 people) and you know how it goes... you take photos of people and the subjects of the photos are anxiously waiting to see them. However there were a few photos of certain individuals that I just didn't feel happy with all at. I don't want to give these photos to them but I know that those individuals will be looking for them. Do I give "at least one photo of everyone who had their picture taken" or do I just give my best?

Hi, I am wondering about a little dilemma I have. I recently did a small event (about 25 people) and you know how it goes... you take photos of people and the subjects of the photos are anxiously waiting to see them. However there were a few photos of certain individuals that I just didn't feel happy with all at. I don't want to give these photos to them but I know that those individuals will be looking for them. Do I give "at least one photo of everyone who had their picture taken" or do I just give my best?
Is the problem your photography or their appearance?

Is the problem your photography or their appearance?

Yeh, the problem was me. Their clothing blended into the background and I didn't adjust for the lighting correctly and these 2 pictures are really flat and look like they were taken with a cell phone camera. But it is the only 2 pictures I have of these particular 5 guests. I am am thinking I won't give them. I don't want my name attached to them and I am pleased with all the other photos of the event.... I just feel like these particular people will be looking for "the photos of them"... and I don't have a good response thought up if I am asked. Maybe "I was asked to taken event pictures and not all make it through the culling process".

"While I make every effort capture images of each person at the event, inevitably, because of the number of people moving about and other factors, some images don't turn out. Those images are deleted during the initial review process and simply aren't available." A large part of the art of dealing with clients is phrasing things correctly - correctly for you that is. By referring to other people you can plant the idea that perhaps someone else's head or arm blocked the shot, etc. You're not saying it was, or was not your fault, simply providing a generic statement. I would also avoid the word "cull" - it has very negative connations.

"While I make every effort capture images of each person at the event, inevitably, because of the number of people moving about and other factors, some images don't turn out. Those images are deleted during the initial review process and simply aren't available." A large part of the art of dealing with clients is phrasing things correctly - correctly for you that is. By referring to other people you can plant the idea that perhaps someone else's head or arm blocked the shot, etc. You're not saying it was, or was not your fault, simply providing a generic statement. I would also avoid the word "cull" - it has very negative connations.

Ok thanks! That is helpful. If it was a large event I don't think everyone would expect all photos of themselves. But for a smaller event I think that is has a more personal feel and I feel like the expectations from each person are higher. If 150 people are in a crowd they don't all expect to see a picture of themselves but if it is 25 I feel like they do. I like this response. Very helpful!

You said the people who 'had their picture taken'... Did you go around and take smaller group (2-5 people) photos of everyone who was there? Do they all know you specifically took their pictures?

That sounds different than photographing an event, walking around taking photos of speakers or presentations and decorations/signage etc., getting crowd shots, taking a few smaller group shots, etc. That would be if you were taking photos for someone like the event organizers or sponsor. Then you wouldn't necessarily have pictures of everyone who attended.

This sounds like you specifically took photos of everyone and they're expecting their photos. If that's what you were doing then I think you may have to give them something... Are you providing pictures or just posting photos on social media on the event's page? If you committed to providing photos for a specific purpose you need to provide what was promised. If you can't do that you need to get in more learning and practicing before you're shooting an event for someone. (And need to have a contract, license usage, etc. etc.)

You said the people who 'had their picture taken'... Did you go around and take smaller group (2-5 people) photos of everyone who was there? Do they all know you specifically took their pictures?

That sounds different than photographing an event, walking around taking photos of speakers or presentations and decorations/signage etc., getting crowd shots, taking a few smaller group shots, etc. That would be if you were taking photos for someone like the event organizers or sponsor. Then you wouldn't necessarily have pictures of everyone who attended.

This sounds like you specifically took photos of everyone and they're expecting their photos. If that's what you were doing then I think you may have to give them something... Are you providing pictures or just posting photos on social media on the event's page? If you committed to providing photos for a specific purpose you need to provide what was promised. If you can't do that you need to get in more learning and practicing before you're shooting an event for someone. (And need to have a contract, license usage, etc. etc.)

No they were "crowd pictures". Some were candid and some were people who stopped and posed. I did not get every person at the event but I suspect that those that did stop and pose will be looking for them. These 2 were those type.

Then yeah, they'll probably be expecting to see them. Are you providing photos to people or just sharing them? Just wondered if they'll expect to receive a picture or just will be expecting to see theirs wherever you're posting. If that's it then you could probably go with something like John suggested. The way it's phrased it seems like they'd be expecting to be given a photo of themselves from the event. (Which really is going to mean getting into contracts, etc. if you're providing photos to people for whatever use).

I don't know, I've just found doing sports and events it's necessary to figure out how to get it done and provide what's needed/requested. Can the photos in question be edited enough to be decent looking to provide? I don't rely on a lot of post but on occasion some editing beyond what I typically do might be necessary.

Everybody probably has had something not turn out as hoped, even more experienced photographers. After this if you're shooting digitally start taking a few minutes to do a quick review to make sure you got what you needed while you still have time to grab some more candids (in case a posed photo didn't turn out, then you've got something...). I'm a long time film photographer so am not in the habit of doing that, but yet when I'm shooting digitally I usually will at some point take a quick glance thru some of my pictures (even though now I'm just shooting for my own purposes and don't need to worry about what I got).

Then yeah, they'll probably be expecting to see them. Are you providing photos to people or just sharing them? Just wondered if they'll expect to receive a picture or just will be expecting to see theirs wherever you're posting. If that's it then you could probably go with something like John suggested. The way it's phrased it seems like they'd be expecting to be given a photo of themselves from the event. (Which really is going to mean getting into contracts, etc. if you're providing photos to people for whatever use).

I don't know, I've just found doing sports and events it's necessary to figure out how to get it done and provide what's needed/requested. Can the photos in question be edited enough to be decent looking to provide? I don't rely on a lot of post but on occasion some editing beyond what I typically do might be necessary.

Everybody probably has had something not turn out as hoped, even more experienced photographers. After this if you're shooting digitally start taking a few minutes to do a quick review to make sure you got what you needed while you still have time to grab some more candids (in case a posed photo didn't turn out, then you've got something...). I'm a long time film photographer so am not in the habit of doing that, but yet when I'm shooting digitally I usually will at some point take a quick glance thru some of my pictures (even though now I'm just shooting for my own purposes and don't need to worry about what I got).

The only person I give the photos too is the person who coordinated the event and booked me. They will do whatever they will with them. I appreciate you saying that even the most experienced photographers have things not turn out as they hoped from time to time. It doesn't happen to me near as often as it used to, but on the occasion that it does I can be pretty hard on myself. I do not think these can be "saved" because of the lighting issue. I have decided to not include them in the package and go with a prepared answer like above. I am going to take more moments to just pause and look at what I have before I move on to the next thing. I appreciate the nonjudgmental throughout answer.

You should be fine then if you don't have to provide photos to individuals. It seems unrealistic for them to expect to see each and every photo from the event posted online, but of course, people may have unrealistic expectations and might think they'll see 'their' picture; so like John discussed I think it's a matter of helping people understand why select pictures may have been used.

I've been a photographer for, well, forever and I can still manage to mess up. But I also know how to salvage something or somehow get whatever it is done. I think with sports and events it takes being able to think on your feet and adapt as you go.

It sounds like you've been improving but maybe you could still use more learning and practice. You could try going to community events just for fun, as long as the event allows participants to bring in cameras and take photos. Think about how you'd go about getting photos of the event - go early, find good vantage points, see what the schedule of events for the day will be, etc. Notice how you can get pictures in a crowded area, of smaller tables, larger tents or whatever. Keep practicing.

And if you haven't yet, or maybe you have, if someone 'booked' you that seems to imply paid/compensated pro work; so it would be good to make sure you're learning how to appropriately license usage, etc. It seems people learn a certain amount of info. and learn terminology but haven't yet necessarily always learned all that's necessary to know. You want to make sure you're covered to avoid dealing with problems later. You might if you haven't yet take a look at pro photographer organizations American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA.

You should be fine then if you don't have to provide photos to individuals. It seems unrealistic for them to expect to see each and every photo from the event posted online, but of course, people may have unrealistic expectations and might think they'll see 'their' picture; so like John discussed I think it's a matter of helping people understand why select pictures may have been used.

I've been a photographer for, well, forever and I can still manage to mess up. But I also know how to salvage something or somehow get whatever it is done. I think with sports and events it takes being able to think on your feet and adapt as you go.

It sounds like you've been improving but maybe you could still use more learning and practice. You could try going to community events just for fun, as long as the event allows participants to bring in cameras and take photos. Think about how you'd go about getting photos of the event - go early, find good vantage points, see what the schedule of events for the day will be, etc. Notice how you can get pictures in a crowded area, of smaller tables, larger tents or whatever. Keep practicing.

And if you haven't yet, or maybe you have, if someone 'booked' you that seems to imply paid/compensated pro work; so it would be good to make sure you're learning how to appropriately license usage, etc. It seems people learn a certain amount of info. and learn terminology but haven't yet necessarily always learned all that's necessary to know. You want to make sure you're covered to avoid dealing with problems later. You might if you haven't yet take a look at pro photographer organizations American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA.

Thanks! I am actually volunteering at a large community event soon. It is by far larger than anything I have photographed but since it is volunteer the pressure is off. If this goes well, I think this is a great way to get out into "getting out of my box" and try a variety things that I don't usually do. The more experience I get (and the more variety), the more I hope to get that elusive perfection I always seem to aim for!

Even if it's for a charity and it's being done as a volunteer, it's part of developing your reputation as a photographer. Maybe it will be a good opportunity but the purpose is to provide photos for the nonprofit not necessarily as practice time. I mean, anytime taking photos can be real life practice, but I think it's necessary to think about the purpose and why you're there and what expectations people will have and if you can meet those.

I think for me a concern is that if photos didn't turn out as you hoped because of the lighting, it might be soon to try to do a larger event til you figure out what to do if you encounter tricky lighting in a venue (which can vary and not be great a lot of times). I'd think about whether to get into commitments and figure out ways to learn and practice and have fun without the pressure of providing photos for others.

Even if it's for a charity and it's being done as a volunteer, it's part of developing your reputation as a photographer. Maybe it will be a good opportunity but the purpose is to provide photos for the nonprofit not necessarily as practice time. I mean, anytime taking photos can be real life practice, but I think it's necessary to think about the purpose and why you're there and what expectations people will have and if you can meet those.

I think for me a concern is that if photos didn't turn out as you hoped because of the lighting, it might be soon to try to do a larger event til you figure out what to do if you encounter tricky lighting in a venue (which can vary and not be great a lot of times). I'd think about whether to get into commitments and figure out ways to learn and practice and have fun without the pressure of providing photos for others.

Well for this upcoming event I feel pretty comfortable with it for the most part (other than the fact it is so large which is new to me). It is completely indoors with even florescent lighting everywhere (thus I control the lighting as I will be having my own external light with me.... going to bring my flash on a lightstand with a softbox attached and carry it around with me). It is mostly candid shots (which is my strong point) and all posed photos are at the photo booth (where I will have my key light and fill light setup in advance). So this volunteer event is one that I feel pretty good about actually. The last one was outdoors as it was getting dark and the light was different at every angle I turned, so I was constantly adjusting my settings of my flash and my camera. This event will be pretty even throughout lighting wise. I am looking forward to the experience though, as all photography can help me grow and learn more everytime. I do want more in the experience department as I think that will help me not to make those silly mistakes that I still occasionally do. That is a matter of experience and continued practice I think.

You are correct though, even for volunteer it does have a cause and it is important to do well. The cause is for a good one and they do have expectations (rightly so) as well.

I've always felt that getting everybody at the event into at least one photo is very important to the client.
If some are not so good then I'll work Photoshop Magic to make them as good as I can. I'm not at the event to show my ability as a photographer, I'm there to document the event for the client.

I think it all depends on the size of the event and what the client needs and how the photos will be used. Part of documenting an event for a client I think would be doing it well. It seems like it does show the photographer's ability.

If the venue is well lit that's a help. I don't know how well it will work to cart equipment around with you. Shooting an event takes having awareness of other people moving thru the room/venue (more so at games or events with big crowds). Depending on what kind of event it is there could be wait staff, ushers, attendees, guests, etc. all moving about.

Usually it's necessary to know the schedule of events, if there are significant speakers or people in attendance that you'd need to include in photos, or any sponsor names/signage etc. that needs to be photographed.

Most reactions

Back