Small format lenses vs. Full frame lenses?

mking7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are lenses made specifically for crop sensor vs. full frame cameras or can I buy lenses for my crop sensor camera and use them if I ever upgrade to full frame?

Say, I bought a Canon 50d and was planning to get a 5d in 3yrs or something. Could I buy good lenses now and upgrade to full frame later keeping the lenses. Or is money spent on lenses for a 50D lost money when/if I upgrade? Obviously I can sell them so it wouldn't be completely lost but you get what I'm saying?

All EF lenses from Canon will works on both cropped body and full frame body.

i.e. EF 70-200mm F/4 will works on any Canon EOS cameras

However, EF-S 60mm F/2.8 macro lens will only work on cropped body such as your 50D.

Other manufacturers are the same. Tamron DII series and Sigma DX lenses are made for cropped sensor.

Are lenses made specifically for crop sensor vs. full frame cameras or can I buy lenses for my crop sensor camera and use them if I ever upgrade to full frame?

Say, I bought a Canon 50d and was planning to get a 5d in 3yrs or something. Could I buy good lenses now and upgrade to full frame later keeping the lenses. Or is money spent on lenses for a 50D lost money when/if I upgrade? Obviously I can sell them so it wouldn't be completely lost but you get what I'm saying?
A 50D can use both EF-S and EF Canon lenses.

The 5D can only use EF lenses, so as long as you don't buy any EF-S lenses you will be fine.

EF-S lenses block with the movement of the mirror in 5D and up Canon cameras.

To answer your original question: Yes, lenses are specially made for crop and ful frame lenses. The lenses made only for crop sensor cameras tend to be less expensive.

Most reactions

Back