Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are not meant to be Pulitzer Prize winning images. They're nothing more than an informal record of a small village's remembrance and respect for the men and women who have served our country. My number one goal when shooting at events such as this is to do NOTHING which in any way detracts from anyone else's experience. As a result, there were a LOT of images that I didn't capture, but here are a few I like.

Remembrance%20(2).jpg

Remembrance%20(3).jpg

Remembrance%20(4).jpg

Remembrance%20(5).jpg

Remembrance%20(6).jpg

Remembrance%20(7).jpg

Remembrance%20(1).jpg

With some RAW edits 5 and 6 could be keepers.

We do ours tomorrow. Small village but usually a good turnout.
On Friday I was in the supermarket when 11am struck. EVERYONE stopped and stood silently and respectfully for 2 minutes. Even the kids were quiet. :)

These are not meant to be Pulitzer Prize winning images. They're nothing more than an informal record of a small village's remembrance and respect for the men and women who have served our country. My number one goal when shooting at events such as this is to do NOTHING which in any way detracts from anyone else's experience. As a result, there were a LOT of images that I didn't capture, but here are a few I like.

Nice set.
Did you ever read Farley Mowat's 'And No Birds Sang'? In my mind the finest illustration of the Canadian soldier ever written.

Thanks Logan!

Nice set.
Did you ever read Farley Mowat's 'And No Birds Sang'? In my mind the finest illustration of the Canadian soldier ever written.
Thanks, and yes I have, and yes, I think you're right. He's a brilliant author.

I especially like the 4th.
If you want some critic, I´d choose the first two: I think the people need some more room to walk to. The first much more than the second. The pipers attract the attention because of their red clothes. They walk to the left, but the image ends pretty suddenly, leading the eyes to the right - and back again at the two pipers. I love when images have a clear "focal point" that lets your eyes rest there for some time (sorry, I couldn´t find better words to discribe what I mean ;) ).

I especially like the 4th.
If you want some critic, I´d choose the first two: I think the people need some more room to walk to. The first much more than the second. The pipers attract the attention because of their red clothes. They walk to the left, but the image ends pretty suddenly, leading the eyes to the right - and back again at the two pipers. I love when images have a clear "focal point" that lets your eyes rest there for some time (sorry, I couldn´t find better words to discribe what I mean ;) ).
Thanks! #4 is my favorite too; I like the contradiction of the infantry Sergeant with three combat tours and the "thousand yard stare" walking with his daughter!

As far s the crit; you're spot-on and I agree completely. The crops were done that way because of all the people and distractions around the edges. I felt it worked better with a less than ideal crop as opposed to all the busy-ness.

Most reactions

Back