Smallest fold up tripod?

Shelly1204

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I remember seeing somewhere a tripod that folds up to about a foot or less, and is super thin for concealability. I can't for the life of me remember the brand though.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you mean one that folds out to 'regular' size?

I carry an UltraPod II in my camera bag. It's only 'table top' sized, but I've always got it with me.

Yes, a full size tripod.

A lot of places in NYC have a "no tripod allowed" policy, so it would be nice to have something I can fold up and hide in my bag, even if it's not the sturdiest option.

A ha! found it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-ZipShot-Compact-Ultra-Light-Instant/dp/B002WC8862"]Tamrac ZipShot Compact Ultra Light Tripod[/ame]

That looks neat, but not sturdy or adjustable.

Yea, I know. But, I'm tired of missing shots, so it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Now, when the screws go through my purse and find it, what do I tell them it is? Hmm...

:lol:
for a start it doesn't seem to have any feet. and those poles - from a dome tent (?)

i dont know exactly what pictures you need for but a monopod may be just as useful and they collapse down quite small.

Last edited:
Shelly,
I thought you went all-IS on your lens selection...what gives?

Cullmann Magic 2 fits in my small bag sized for a rangefinder.

Next would be the 1550T Gitzo traveler but that's running about $700 USD these days. I've been tempted a few times.

I've seen the linked pocket folding tripod in person. Its a neat idea but seems so unstable.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a tabletop one by Bogen with a ballhead. I use this as my always-with-me tripod, as BigMike mentioned. I have gotten many outstanding shots by attaching my camera to this and bracing against a wall or column.

Since I don't care how much of a dork I am, I sometimes even attach it to the bottom of my DSLR and just leave it there. When I don't need it, it serves as a grip for my off hand. When I do need it, I just deploy the legs.

Speaking of which, this is the only tabletop tripod I've seen that is sturdy enough to use with an SLR. Just make sure you set it up so a leg is under the lens, instead of a gap.

Here it is. It'll be the best $40 you ever spend in photography, I promise:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-709B-Table-Tripod-Black/dp/B0000YD2JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267829206&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Manfrotto 709B Digi Table Top Tripod with Ball Head (Black): Electronics[/ame]

It kind of goes along with the theory that the best camera is the one I have with me at the moment an opportunity presents itself. There are some situations in which if one doesn't have a tripod, one has the option to either go to a too-high ISO and get a grainy pic, get no pic, or a blurry pic. With a tripod such as this, we add the option of getting a sharp pic and a low ISO.

It is also nice for the occasional touristy pic where we would use the self timer but can't balance the SLR steadily on that rock...

My smallest folding tripod.. probably just too small but heck I like to show off. Especially to the fellow above who just got his S90 for a trip.

383764316.jpg

Most reactions

Back