Smallest fold up tripod?

But why are tripods not allowed?

i read photographers need an official permit to use a tripod on the streets of Manhattan. is that correct?

In general yes... at least that is my understanding. There is a lot of foot traffic and setting up a tripod can be a hazard.

If you were in central park (like I was), I don't think anyone will mind.

Yes, in NY, you don't need a permit to use your camera, but you DO need a permit if you use lighting gear or a tripod, or any "extras" that a non-photographer doesn't understand, but thinks you're using it to aid your shot. Real vague, eh? It leaves a lot up to the officer's discretion.

Permits in NYC are free, but from what I recall, if you want to use lights/tripod, you need a million dollar liability policy for the shoot before they'll issue you one.

You can also get an "optional permit", which is also free, and liability insurance is not required, BUT ALL equipment must be handheld only. But at least you won't be hassled.

So yeah, most cops ignore you if you're just using a tripod, but they can go after you if they're having a bad day. But the reason I was concerned with is most tourist traps (statute of liberty, etc.) do not allow you to bring a tripod on premises. So if you're walking around the city for the day, you're limited as to where you can go with a tripod.

I have a tabletop one by Bogen with a ballhead. I use this as my always-with-me tripod, as BigMike mentioned. I have gotten many outstanding shots by attaching my camera to this and bracing against a wall or column.

Since I don't care how much of a dork I am, I sometimes even attach it to the bottom of my DSLR and just leave it there. When I don't need it, it serves as a grip for my off hand. When I do need it, I just deploy the legs.

Speaking of which, this is the only tabletop tripod I've seen that is sturdy enough to use with an SLR. Just make sure you set it up so a leg is under the lens, instead of a gap.

Here it is. It'll be the best $40 you ever spend in photography, I promise:
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 709B Digi Table Top Tripod with Ball Head (Black): Electronics

It kind of goes along with the theory that the best camera is the one I have with me at the moment an opportunity presents itself. There are some situations in which if one doesn't have a tripod, one has the option to either go to a too-high ISO and get a grainy pic, get no pic, or a blurry pic. With a tripod such as this, we add the option of getting a sharp pic and a low ISO.

It is also nice for the occasional touristy pic where we would use the self timer but can't balance the SLR steadily on that rock...

+1...love mine

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back