Smoke Abstract for C & C

qleak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't normally go for such a central composition, but it this case I thought it fit the subject. What do you think?

DSC_1337 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

I see people have looked, but no comments... It's okay take the gloves off. If you hate it, dislike it, are bored with it why?

That's pretty sweet. Can you explain how you shot this?

I love doing smoke photography, fun way to suck up hours at a time without realizing it! :D

I agree, I think the centered composition works okay here.

If this were mine, I think I might even try losing the top third segment of smoke and cropping this into a square, with just the lower two smoke elements.

That's pretty sweet. Can you explain how you shot this?

Yes. Manual mode, kill the ambient. So I set it to ISO 100, max shutter sync speed (x250 on my d7100) rather higher f-stop without diffraction limiting ( f8 is just below the diffraction limit on my sigma 18-35mm).

I used 2 speedlights wirelessly triggered, one across from the left and one up from behind and underneath. Needs to either be manual flash or flash locked with ttl. I used manual since I wasn't entirely sure how to get the correct exposure with ttl :)

For freezing the motion with speedlights probably 1/2 power or more is very adequate t.1 approximately 1/1000 on my speedlights for that power.

Adjust placement / power of lights to try to ensure I'm not lighting the room. I added a 45 degree grid to the cross shot light. I still lit the room much more than anticipated. With the DR of my camera was surprised how much detail could be pulled from the shadows.

I love doing smoke photography, fun way to suck up hours at a time without realizing it! :D

I agree, I think the centered composition works okay here.

If this were mine, I think I might even try losing the top third segment of smoke and cropping this into a square, with just the lower two smoke elements.

Thanks for the suggestions :) I am thinking about brushing out the top portion of the third blob but keeping most of 3 intact.

I was a view without a comment, sooo: It's very wispy, and the curls are cool. I think the shot is nice, I'm just not super into smoke shots in the end.

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

De-saturate the photo, which will effectively make it B&W.
I agree on a square crop and losing the top wisp but keep the curlicue.
You could also make it a negative so the background becomes white with black smoke in front.
There is a hot pixel and some light wisp to the left of the top swirl that I would Spot Healing Brush out.

I color my smoke photos.
I duplicate the de-saturated Background layer, change the blending mode to Soft Light, select the Brush tool, a color, size the brush, and 'paint' color where I want it.

Since you don't allow editing of your photos here are a couple of mine to show you what that can look like.
Made into a negative, cropped, colored, and framed:
Scheherazade
D300b12-7-10Smoke3_0021copy.jpg

Rotated, cropped, colored, framed:
The Rose
TheRoseD300b12-3-10Smoke2_0054.jpg

De-saturate the photo, which will effectively make it B&W.
I agree on a square crop and losing the top wisp but keep the curlicue.
You could also make it a negative so the background becomes white with black smoke in front.
There is a hot pixel and some light wisp to the left of the top swirl that I would Spot Healing Brush out.

I color my smoke photos.
I duplicate the de-saturated Background layer, change the blending mode to Soft Light, select the Brush tool, a color, size the brush, and 'paint' color where I want it.

Since you don't allow editing of your photos here are a couple of mine to show you what that can look like.
Made into a negative, cropped, colored, and framed:
Scheherazade
D300b12-7-10Smoke3_0021copy.jpg

Rotated, cropped, colored, framed:
The Rose
TheRoseD300b12-3-10Smoke2_0054.jpg
Thanks for the critique and all the pointers!

Do you find yourself ever removing noise from the smoke? I think I'm picking up some of the particulate matter even when well lit.

I've been thinking about changing that for a while now, I just found the setting. No need to edit my photo to show me, I get the idea from your photos. Again much appreciated for your feedback :)

Most reactions

Back