smoke and photoshop

Very cool indeed! I've been trying to do the exact same thing.

I've got the smoke photos. I've got PS. But I just keep staring at the photos and having NO creative spark whatsoever about where to go with them.

I've got the smoke photos. I've got PS. But I just keep staring at the photos and having NO creative spark whatsoever about where to go with them.
Just pick a crop...duplicate flip and merge.....duplicate the merged and flip again merging at the end/top/bottom.... and then make a square b/g paste and rotate setting your layers to lighter colour in layers palette and that is about it .....play and see what happens...staring achieves nothing

Just pick a crop...duplicate flip and merge.....duplicate the merged and flip again merging at the end/top/bottom.... and then make a square b/g paste and rotate setting your layers to lighter colour in layers palette and that is about it .....play and see what happens...staring achieves nothing

Well, evidently I know even less about PS than I thought I did. I thought this would be a reasonably simply task, but I'm doing something wrong. Rather than derail your thread, I started a new one, but if you want to chime in on it and give me some more precise step-by-steps, you'll make an old lady's day! :D

Well, evidently I know even less about PS than I thought I did. I thought this would be a reasonably simply task, but I'm doing something wrong. Rather than derail your thread, I started a new one, but if you want to chime in on it and give me some more precise step-by-steps, you'll make an old lady's day! :D
Sorry due to our time differences, I had gone to bed, and now seeing the end result of your image, I would say that you have done a great job :)

oh when you rotate the image these may help...90, -90, 45, -45, 22.5, -22.5, 67.5, -67.5

Last edited:
Are there no vistas that this man cannot conquer? :clap::Hail.sml:

Sorry due to our time differences, I had gone to bed, and now seeing the end result of your image, I would say that you have done a great job :)

oh when you rotate the image these may help...90, -90, 45, -45, 22.5, -22.5, 67.5, -67.5

Thanks, binga! You helped anyway, because you spurred me into action. :D
Actually, when I created my thread, I didn't think I was going to be able to work on it until this evening. But then I hit difficulties beyond my control in the project I was working on, and found myself with some time on my hands, and Buckster's helpful hints! The rotation degree calculations is VERY helpful, too, thanks!
The biggest problem I discovered--is that it's incredibly addictive!!
I was staring at them, not doing anything because I was convinced I needed to find just the right one to work with. Now I just want to play with ALL of them.

Thanks Paul...the rotation numbers I shared will work and keep the design exact...here is an after and what I used, apart from rotation and the use of "lighter colour"in the layers palette this is a relatively simple thing...

DSC_0116 by Chris Crossley, on Flickr

DSC_0116-smoke by Chris Crossley, on Flickr

Thanks, binga! You helped anyway, because you spurred me into action. :D
Actually, when I created my thread, I didn't think I was going to be able to work on it until this evening. But then I hit difficulties beyond my control in the project I was working on, and found myself with some time on my hands, and Buckster's helpful hints! The rotation degree calculations is VERY helpful, too, thanks!
The biggest problem I discovered--is that it's incredibly addictive!!
I was staring at them, not doing anything because I was convinced I needed to find just the right one to work with. Now I just want to play with ALL of them.

After seeing you wonderfully coloured version I thought that I would have a go at a little more complex version...:)
Smoke-blue by Chris Crossley, on Flickr

After seeing you wonderfully coloured version I thought that I would have a go at a little more complex version...:)
Smoke-blue by Chris Crossley, on Flickr

Oh, I like that one too, binga; very intricate looking!
I've done another one too that I may post pretty soon. It's really addictive!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back