smoking in the garage

mitake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been fascinated with shapes the smoke takes while smoking in the garage. First try came out kind of lame but... maybe I can get some insight here ;) Thanks!

dsc_1059.jpg

dsc_1062.jpg

Im and ex cigaretter smoker... I smoked a lot more years than I like to even admit that I am old. I have seen similiar puffs of smoke and they always facinated me when I was in the mood.

The blue line in the bottom is distracting otherwise I like the mental imagine it gives me. For this one I think you had to have been there to appreciate it, (have been a smoker)

So now we're watching the shapes of cigarette smoke in the garage?
Sad.

Are you even supposed to SMOKE in a GARAGE???

The second photo is nicer than the first but unlike mysteryscribe, who does not like the blue line of the light that shines through the bottom of the doors, I don't like the big shadow that much which diagonally cuts through the image.

But I begin to believe these might not remain the only pics of smoke in the garage that you are going to take? ;)

Thanks for the comments, both sad and happy :lol:

I think I have a clear picture in my mind of what I want to achieve.The background should be darker and the fumes more distinct....

You should have seen how I was taking these pictures: with 2 sec self-timer puffing smoke into the beams of light and jumping out of sight :)

La Foto, I'll definitely try more of those but they can only be taken on sunny weekends :)

if you dont like cigarettes, by all means say so- but dont knock it in the process please.

i like the smoke idea and have experimented in the same way (even garage) many times. the best ones for me are always black and white with a lot of contrast and slightly grainy/noisey tone to them.

post more if u get any good ones.

I would say you need to expose or process the image such that the garage door falls to black and the smoke and windows are all that shows. That would make it more interesting and mysterious for me. seeing any indication that it's a garage kind of kills the suspense in my opinion. To me the light under the door is also a little distracting, I prefer just the four pane windows.

Another idea would be to shoot from under the windows looking back into the garage at an upward angle. This way you'd have just smoke and expanding light beams from the top of the frame to the bottom. Might need a lot of smoke though, maybe get some smoker friends to help you box the garage :) Again, I'd expose such that the back wall / cieling doesn't show up.

--Illah

Most reactions

Back