Smugmug Advice

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have two days left of the trial version and so far I'm not too impressed. If you have a Smugmug would you please post your site? Mine is pretty boring looking and I'm hoping it's just because I don't know how to organzie it to my liking. Hopefully someone has something that looks more than a page with a few pictures on it :lol:.

Anyways, here's mine:
www.forevereverphotography.com

Thanks for the help everyone.

Sure, if you click on my signature and find the 'Gymnastic' gallery you can see my Smugmug portion of my website. Unfortunately the gallery itself is password protected. I can tell you that you can totally customize your site. I bet you can't tell the difference between my Smugmug site and my "regular" website. ;)

Thanks Mike. Is that entire site Smugmug or just the gymnastics gallery? I'm looking for something kind of like that. I just can't figure out how to manipulate my sight away from what it is. I thought I was stuck with the layout I have now.

Well what aren't you impressed about? It sounds like your complaints are having to do more with how you've set it up or not adding enough pictures on it more so than any problem with smugmug itself. For example, you can also add things like slide shows, featured photos, communities, etc on your page rather than just your bio.

Having your own domain, complete with flash and what not might look a lot better to you and be more customizable, but there's also a lot more to it than something as easy as smugmug. I guess that's a personal decision.

I guess it does sound like I'm complaining. I'm really not though. More upset at myself for not figuring out how to use this darn thing. I grew up with myspace so this should be no problem lol. I'm just looking to see what kind of things can be done with Smugmug is all.

Thanks Mike. Is that entire site Smugmug or just the gymnastics gallery? I'm looking for something kind of like that. I just can't figure out how to manipulate my sight away from what it is. I thought I was stuck with the layout I have now.

Only my Gymnastic stuff is run through Smugmug. I had to customize my Smugmug home page to look exactly like my 'regular' home page website.

Here's my Smugmug home page: Atwater CA - Landscape, Nature, Wildlife & Inspirational Photography

and my regular home page: Atwater CA - Landscape, Nature, Wildlife & Inspirational Photography

A small difference, but it's close enough for me. The point is....you can totally customize your site to make it what ever you want. :)

I gotcha, and I didn't mean to say that you're complaining or whining or anything. Stuff like that just takes a good bit of tinkering and exploring options to get it to you liking usually. For what it's worth, I'll post my smugmug, but I just have the standard account for right now so there isn't as much that I can or have done to it. For the time being at least, it's more of just a personal storage and hosting solution for me. kguenter's Photos

I prefer to display the categories (rather than galleries), and then grouping the actual galleries within there. I've recently been playing with and trying different ways of grouping/organizing myself. I also recently added the slideshow to randomize through my photos.

Awesome site Mike! Do you have the pro version you have? I currently have the power version or the second best one that costs $60. For that price I was hoping for a bit more customization like yours. If that's the case I'll buy what I have and work some more at it.

And no worries Kevin. You're site looks pretty good for the standard account. It looks better than mine that's for sure lol

The "Power Account" does allow for things like custom banners, so I suspect with a little more tweaking, you can get your site looking more like you want. You can also always upgrade to the professional account at any time if you ever decide to go that route (from the looks of it, they pro-rate the annual amount when you upgrade).

Awesome site Mike! Do you have the pro version you have? I currently have the power version or the second best one that costs $60. For that price I was hoping for a bit more customization like yours. If that's the case I'll buy what I have and work some more at it.

And no worries Kevin. You're site looks pretty good for the standard account. It looks better than mine that's for sure lol

Thanks! I have the Pro version, but the 'only' difference in appearance wise is I can eliminate the "powered by Smugmug footer stuff". I have a friend that has the Power version and I helped him set up his Smugmug site. Here's his gallery: Old Lonely Wolf Photography - Alessandro Martinelli- powered by SmugMug

Awesome! Thanks so much guys. I had no idea the things you can do with this. I heard that Smugmug was a popular choice to showcase your work and I was just about to cancel what I have and go learn code to make my own. I feel much more relieved now.

Appreciate the help from everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back