smugmug

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by HeY iTs ScOTtY, Jun 30, 2009.

1. HeY iTs ScOTtY

HeY iTs ScOTtY TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hey i was wondering if anyone here has ever tried or currently uses smugmug? just curious to know if you ever have anyone buying your prints from there. seems like with all the users that are on there to have some random person buy your work would be impossible, even to have other people see your work from there would be lucky with all the photos on there. seems like you would need to direct people there to your page to make a sale and if your doing that you might as well sell them yourself from your own site and use paypal or something. I'm not sure though just want to see how people use the site and see if they like it or if there is something better.

2. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It works really well for a lot of things-- it's a good photo sharing site, etc, aside from the sales part (very flexible galllery set up, unlimited storage, 2 petabytes of bandwidth per month etc etc).

If you're marketing things like fine art prints and whatnot, then yes, it would be easier to handle it yourself. However, if you're trying to sell things like pictures from a sporting event or a party, then it's a much easier set up because everything is handled by them, you just get the money. If you're already shooting an event, it's easy to put the pictures up, put a price on them, and direct people to the site.

3. Guido44

Guido44 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use Smug Mug also, and I like it a lot. Their Help forum is really good to help you get set up.

If you know something about web site creation (css and html) then you should have it made.

The first year I got for $75 for the Pro account.

I agree with tsaraleksi, but sales depend on what you do with your talents as a 'go getter' and self promoter. It really doesn't matter where you host your site so much.

JMO

Dan

4. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Smugmug is really great, but I switched from them because I wanted some additional options like mounting, framing, etc. But, their quality was really nice. Never had a bad print and their customer service is great.

5. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I actually had a guy buy some prints from me (WWII images I shot at a reenactment).

I think SmugMug rocks. I've tried them all (or so it seems) and none of them compare. I'll be sticking with SmugMug until something better comes along.

6. HeY iTs ScOTtY

HeY iTs ScOTtY TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for the info everyone i think i might give it a try.

7. ScottJ

ScottJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have pro accounts on both SmugMug and Flickr. I have to say that in terms of reliability and customer service, SmugMug wins hands-down. Their response to questions, concerns, and problems has been stellar. Their system's a little harder to get around in, and there isn't the "community" aspect that Flickr offers, but technically SmugMug is the best I've found.

8. mrcoons

mrcoons TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another vote for Smugmug. I use open (public) galleries for events that I cover and the customers order from there. For portrait sessions or private events I use password protected galleries and the customer orders from those.

The Smugmug ordering system works very well and I have had a number of customers praise how easy it is to use.

Someday soon (we all hope) we will be able to offer our customers package deals and possibly sales coupons (for reduced rates). Smugmug is a small company but they are a very user-friendly company. The changes we ask for come, if somewhat slowly.

Smugmug is perfect for me and what I do.

9. max3k

max3k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    any purpose for using smugmug for a non pro? Or should I just use Flickr. Dont care about selling photos