Snake

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by Oldfireguy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Oldfireguy

Oldfireguy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been down in Mexico working and ran into this guy while cutting across a trail. I was told it was a King Snake when I showed some of the locals the photo. Snake was to long to get the entire body in the photo.

Interesting to watch. Stayed in this elevated position for a couple of minutes and then moved on.

[​IMG]

2. Cheyenne

Cheyenne TPF Noob!

What a gorgeous snake :D Nice shot :)

3. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    (*shudder*). Hmmm, it is kinda purdy, but I DON'T like snakes, especially ones that rear up rather than 'hightailing' it outta there! Thankfully he's not so camoflaged that you couldn't see him.

4. tpe

tpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Generally snakes are too shy or too scary to get decent pictures so well done indeed. It looks like a (harmless) king snake to me too, but without a reliable guide book in my hand i wouldnt risk it :).

tim

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm pretty certain that that is a King Snake. Lampropeltis Getula (sp?)
    It would be called a banded king snake, maybe a coastal or California phase.

I have a Striped California King Snake, looks very similar to this one...except that it has one stripe all down his back...rather than bands.

They are harmless to humans...well, they aren't venomous anyway...they could still bite but they only have small teeth.

King snakes are somewhat unique in that they are immune to some other snake's venom...rattle snakes for example. In fact, king snakes will often attack and eat rattle snakes...so if you see a king snake, there probably aren't many rattle snakes around.

6. Oldfireguy

Oldfireguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mike good info. Thanks.

I'm not afraid of snakes but not being a snake person I stayed my distance. Don't know if I will ever see one again but if I do I would get closer.

7. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    cool shot, tfs. I have come across hundreds of rattle snakes in the arizona deserts, but i've only seen a handfull for these guys. I saw a rattler two weeks ago, but didn't have my camera with me... :( it was getting dark anyway, probably wouldn't have turned out very well.

i'm not an snake expert either, but i think down here the only snakes you really need to worry about are the rattlesnakes and coral snakes as far as venom goes, but i still don't care to be bit by any of them... :mrgreen: I'm pretty sure you don't want to tangle with a gila monster either, i have photos of one of those that i came across a few years ago, cool critter.