Snapshot vs Photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, this is a photograph. It has posed subjects that were deliberately grouped together for the express purpose of having a photo taken.
Yes.

Which would make this a snapshot because there was no control over the subject and the composition was little more than an educated guess that was done in a spur of the moment.
Yes.

By your definition, almost all photojournalism would be nothing more than snapshots.
Yes. (I know what you meant)

There is nothing wrong with any of that though. This is what I mean when I said people should not get offended. Bentcountershaft, the photo of the bear is awesome. Calling it a snapshot (in my opinion) should not take away from the image itself. It is only a description of the circumstances in which the image was taken.

Fair enough, and I was paying close enough attention to your previous posts to not be offended. However I can't help but think that in the future you will constantly be misinterpreted due to the fact that you seem to be the only one going with your definition. Unless every poster that comes here from here on out reads this thread so that they can understand your unique definition of the word snapshot.

I don't think the 'time' aspect of it is a very good qualifier of it being a snapshot.

I get what you're saying, but you do realize that your opinion is contradictory to almost everyone else...

I don't think you would find very many people that would call this a snapshot:
The Falling Soldier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt he had much more than a half second or so to compose and take that picture (though, there are some that say it was staged).

To me, a 'snapshot' says more about the intent of the photo than anything else.
'Snapshots' would be pictures who's sole purpose is just to preserve the memory of some particular event - a birthday party or something. That doesn't mean that they're bad, just that you weren't trying to convey some message with it.

I don't agree with the (common) use of 'snapshot' for a bad picture, and 'photo' or 'photograph' for a good one.

That's like saying that a point & shoot is not actually a camera.

Fair enough, and I was paying close enough attention to your previous posts to not be offended. However I can't help but think that in the future you will constantly be misinterpreted due to the fact that you seem to be the only one going with your definition. Unless every poster that comes here from here on out reads this thread so that they can understand your unique definition of the word snapshot.
Thank you for understanding.

It should never become an issue though because I have never (and will never) refer to someone's image on this forum as a snapshot when offering comments or criticism. I have only used the term in this thread specifically because that is what the thread is about. I always refer to someone's image as an "image" or "picture" or "photo" because I am aware of the connotation of the word "snapshot". My entire point in posting in this thread was to offer my opinion to the OP. I know it got out of hand but I feel that I acted civilly in all of my posts. I explained my opinion numerous times not to force it on anyone, only to clarify it to those who did not seem to understand. I honestly don't know why I was attacked by several members here but I'm sure they had their reasons.

To me, a 'snapshot' says more about the intent of the photo than anything else. 'Snapshots' would be pictures who's sole purpose is just to preserve the memory of some particular event - a birthday party or something. That doesn't mean that they're bad, just that you weren't trying to convey some message with it.

EXACTLY!

I don't think the 'time' aspect of it is a very good qualifier of it being a snapshot.

I get what you're saying, but you do realize that your opinion is contradictory to almost everyone else...

I don't think you would find very many people that would call this a snapshot:
The Falling Soldier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt he had much more than a half second or so to compose and take that picture (though, there are some that say it was staged).

To me, a 'snapshot' says more about the intent of the photo than anything else.
'Snapshots' would be pictures who's sole purpose is just to preserve the memory of some particular event - a birthday party or something. That doesn't mean that they're bad, just that you weren't trying to convey some message with it.

I don't agree with the (common) use of 'snapshot' for a bad picture, and 'photo' or 'photograph' for a good one.

That's like saying that a point & shoot is not actually a camera.
I completely understand your and others' viewpoint on the word. (And yeah, I would call that image a snapshot)

I also agree that "snapshot" should not be used to indicate a bad picture and "photograph" to indicate a good picture. (But I have stated that multiple times in earlier posts.)

I know that most people don't agree with me but all I was doing was expressing my opinion.

I also agree that "snapshot" should not be used to indicate a bad picture and "photograph" to indicate a good picture. (But I have stated that multiple times in earlier posts.)

I think 'snapshot' and 'photograph' being used in place of 'good' or 'bad' is what causes all of the confusion, and leads to threads like these...

It seems like most of the people on photography forums like to think that pictures have to be 'good enough' to be elevated to the sought-after level of 'photograph'.
EDIT> I think what they really mean in those cases is "art", but they just say 'photograph' instead. <EDIT

I don't really know how or why that started... How some people can say that a picture isn't good enough to be called a photo...

By definition, all images made with a camera (and some made without a camera) are photographs.

Last edited:
I don't really know how or why that started... How some people can say that a picture isn't good enough to be called a photo...

By definition, all images made with a camera (and some made without a camera) are photographs.

I don't know either. It really makes no sense. It doesn't matter if an image is taken with a 5dmkii or a camera phone, it's still a photograph.

Gone for one day...ONE day...didn't realize how controversial of a subject I had posed...thank you so much for all the insights/opinions/educated answers/guesses...now I am completely and oh so utterly confused...I guess that should be a lesson for me in the future...beware of the question before asking...but wasn't this so much fun? people agreeing, disagreeing, getting upset, laughing...but it makes learning together so much fun...

Gone for one day...ONE day...didn't realize how controversial of a subject I had posed...thank you so much for all the insights/opinions/educated answers/guesses...now I am completely and oh so utterly confused...I guess that should be a lesson for me in the future...beware of the question before asking...but wasn't this so much fun? people agreeing, disagreeing, getting upset, laughing...but it makes learning together so much fun...

It all adds to the fun, you can't beat a good argument

While I don't feel like Gary's sample images were the best for demonstrating his intent (with the exception of the biking shot, which is awesome), but what you fail to realize Polyphony, is that you're wrong.

It doesn't matter which way you personally define a word, it doesn't make it true. For example, it doesn't mater how many people believe in a god, or many gods, it doesn't make god REAL. See?

So if you go up to a professional photographer, especially one that's still using film, and you say "These are wonderful snapshots". He/She'd probably do a double take, and then punch you in the face with a knife.

tl;dr version: Polyphony, believe what you want, but you're wrong... Still.

While I don't feel like Gary's sample images were the best for demonstrating his intent (with the exception of the biking shot, which is awesome), but what you fail to realize Polyphony, is that you're wrong.

It doesn't matter which way you personally define a word, it doesn't make it true. For example, it doesn't mater how many people believe in a god, or many gods, it doesn't make god REAL. See?

So if you go up to a professional photographer, especially one that's still using film, and you say "These are wonderful snapshots". He/She'd probably do a double take, and then punch you in the face with a knife.

tl;dr version: Polyphony, believe what you want, but you're wrong... Still.
When I first read this post, I thought to myself, "This guy is either 12 years old or has a mental disability."

After reading this...
SWEET SNAPSHOT OMG LAWL
And this...
NICE SNAPSHOTS BRO :thumbup:

I've concluded that it's probably both.

Your response (the one that's not written like an immature child in size 7 bold font) is so completely incoherent that I would be embarrassed if I were you. You fail to comprehend what it is that I have been saying for pages and pages in this thread. The analogy that you make to believing in god is COMPLETELY false. What you fail to realize, "o hey tyler" is that you're wrong. I won't even begin to explain why (which I can very easily) because I can predict your response: "(insert a line of childish internet acronyms and made up words)"

Anyone who read this thread in its entirety and has half a brain would realize that you have absolutely no clue about what you are talking about.

Disagree all you want. Doesn't change the fact that most photographers (i.e., those trying to improve their craft) will interpret "snapshot" as an insult. Additionally, it is impossible to take a photo without thought.

I haven't made it through the thread yet, but you sir are wrong. I generally end up taking several photos when I'm just trying to wake the camera up from sleep. :mrgreen:

When I first read this post, I thought to myself, "This guy is either 12 years old or has a mental disability."

See, you lept right into personal attacks.
Yet you play the victim.
:er:

You can't have your high horse and eat it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back