Sneaky Proposal Shoot Tomorrow...

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got hired to take a picture of this guy when he proposes to his girlfriend tomorrow at the zoo. (Let's hope she says yes). I've got a Nikon D5100, 70-300mm, 50mm prime, and 18-55mm kit lens. The girl has no idea I'll be there, so I've got to look casual. I'm not sure if I should stay far away and use my 300 and risk someone getting in the way, or just hang around with my 50mm nonchalantly following them until he pops the question.

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks!

Do a reconn first to find suitable places for both you and the couple where your view of them can't be obstructed.

You say it's going to be at the zoo so get close and just act like you are photographing the animals tell the event happens.

If you have a gopro mount it to the hot shoe on your camera and record video with that in addition to pictures.

Maybe I just always overcomplicate things but....I suggest you hang out from a distance (and get some lovely shots of them "in the zoo" and surrounded by people. Have him put your number in speed dial and send you a quick message when he's getting ready to propose and that's when you move in closer and only be OBVIOUS once the message is popped. Otherwise she might be thrown by it all and consider you a stalker of sorts. And a mix of photos (with her not aware that you're there so you get some candids in an obviously public setting) combined with photos of THE MOMENT would be diverse and memorable.

Saturday should be superb. Maybe some glare and crowd issues b/c of the sun and it will be a warm day for the end of October. Show us results.

Personally I'd want to atleast start with a longer lens. That'll put you far enough away to not attract attention, and help to isolate them from the others. It'll be tough though with people milling about, so maybe someplace where you can shoot over others?

It's to bad you and the possible groom to be couldn't have some sort of preplan. Something where you both survey the location together. Then you can tell him where the lighting would look best or hey the background is gonna be really distracting in this spot so we shouldn't do it here. Probably too late for that though...

if youre doing this at the zoo, she wont notice you. once she does, you'll be in on it anyways and youll wanna do posed shot.

Unfortunately the guy is driving his girlfriend down with him so we won't get a chance to really scout together. I'm going to do a bit of recon myself though and then we're gonna meet in the bathroom and talk about it. Lol, so excited!

Consider that as soon as it appears obvious that he is proposing (gets down on one knee, etc) a crowd will almost instantly surround them. You need to be in closer than the crowd. Shift to the 50 after you get some b-roll with the longer lens. I'd use my 18-140 zoom personally.

So I got hired to take a picture of this guy when he proposes to his girlfriend tomorrow at the zoo. (Let's hope she says yes). I've got a Nikon D5100, 70-300mm, 50mm prime, and 18-55mm kit lens. The girl has no idea I'll be there, so I've got to look casual. I'm not sure if I should stay far away and use my 300 and risk someone getting in the way, or just hang around with my 50mm nonchalantly following them until he pops the question.

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks!

It's risky to leave finding the right location and circumstances to chance. Ideally you and the gentleman who intends to make the proposal could orchestrate the scheme a bit by looking for a location less likely to have an obstruction and a way for him to cue you that he's about to ask -- to make sure you don't miss the key moments. Normally a photographer can scout these things on their own... except normally when you're going to shoot a "couple", the couple are aware that you're going to be there and you can lead them to the locations you've selected. But in this case... she doesn't know, and can't know or it'll ruin the surprise. Your disadvantage is that YOU can't lead them anywhere... the gentleman making the proposal has to lead them... and that means he has to know in advance where he's supposed to go.

A large camera with a long lens isn't necessarily suspect at a zoo because people tend to bring these things to zoos. But if you hang out too close, too often, and take too many photos pointing in his direction (and not pointing in any other direction), she may spot you and think she's getting a bit too much attention from your camera.

AND stay away from the monkey cage so they don't steal your camera and take selfies.

time to bust out the pitchforks and march on down to Richmond, Joe.

Most reactions

Back