snow portraits

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by christopher, Nov 3, 2003.

1. christopher

christopher TPF Noob!

These are weak portraits of my sister, shot with ilford HP4 125iso outside in the snow. Best negatives in a while, although the prints are bothersome, I can't seem to get them to, uh.. pop. Any (more) advice would be nice. thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Shubin

Shubin TPF Noob!

You're right, they're 'nice.'

...but they don't "Pop"

I have no advice, but did the pics or the negs "Pop" ? Did they loose the feeling in the scan? Are you trying to add something during your post processing?

What program are you using after you scan? I shoot only digital right now, so I'm used to getting everything into photoshop after I shoot it.

I see either one of these shots with the subject with the same focus, but blur the hell out of the back ground, OR give some more contrast to the dark and light areas to see what effect that has. Heck, get risky and try both.

That's just my $0.02 worth. If you lived in Australia, they'd round it down to the nearest 5 cents. That means I'd have just given you nothing.

Take it as you will, but if you try something, post it here and let me check it out.

Yours,

3. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

For the style that I prefer I would recommend shortening your depth of field, (aka blur the background) and also have more contrast in lighting on the subject, especially the face. Some type of emotion needs to be portrayed as that is what makes the picture "pop".

I would also recommended softening the picture a little as is usually done with portrait photography.

4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Argh, I wish we could attach files here--this uploading to a server is a PITA. Anyway, here's a slightly edited version of your first shot. I selectively blurred out and lightened the background, compressed the levels some on the main subject, and then ran USM to both sharpen it and give it a bit more grain. Better? Ehh I dunno, you decide. I think it pops a bit more, though...

[​IMG]

5. christopher

christopher TPF Noob!

thanks! I'll take as much advice as I can. I'm using photoshop 6 to scan 'em in. the depth of field is deffinetly something i'll take note of next time, I guess I was too occupied with everything else to even plan these things out.

the trees, are also aren't very good for a background, sticking right out of 'er head and all.

thank you for the edit! it's awesome, the grain bothers me a little but I guess that's what I get for enlarging it a bit, although it DOES make it "pop" a lot more, thank you very much. I take the contrast consideration into the darkroom on monday.

thanks again!

6. christopher

christopher TPF Noob!

I took the suggestions into account and I executed them... to my ability in photoshop (a great tool to learn techniques and previsualization for the darkroom.. in my opinion)

here they are:

[​IMG][​IMG]

on closer inspection, maybe the face is too light. but I like how it kinda "glows" too much dodge*cough*.