Snow/ski photography

Paul Karl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everybody,

In January i'll go to a ski station in France. And i want to do some great pictures like this one.
I generally use Kodak Tri-x 400 with D76 or Rodinal.
And i would like to keep this film because a love the grain and the contrast.

1. But in ski station there is a lot of light and i'am afraid that 400 iso will be too much*, does it will be too much ? Should a take a slower film (Tmax 100 for example)?

2. In order to darken the ski i want to use a red filter, i'am also afraid that filter will make too much contrast with lost of too much tone & details. Should a use a orange filter instead ?

Thanks.
Paul Karl

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/325305snow08.jpg
Credit : Maksym Rudnik

*I own a nikon F90X and the fastest shutter speed is 1/8000 s.

P.S. : Sorry for my bad english i am french.
Paul Karl
Flickr: Paul-Karl's Photostream

Last edited:
Paul Karl, welcome!

No need to apologize for your English.

Also, please take down the photograph and post a link to it instead.

It has been too long since I shot any film, so I will not be a good one to suggest film or filters.

Before changing film speed be sure to factor in the exposure difference with the red filter. That filter will cut the amount of light reaching the film.

A red filter will change your exposure by a few f-stops. An ISO 400 film will have, depending on the filter, an effective ISO as low as 100. An ISO 100 might be dropped to an ISO 25.

It doesn't usually snow a lot where I live but it did last winter and I got some nice pictures on Portra. It was a day after it had snowed and was sunny with a beautiful blue sky so I got some nice blue tone shadows on the snow from tree branches etc.

But I shoot a lot of B&W film too, especially if it's a bright sunny day I'd probably use 100 rather than 400 speed.

I've used both red and orange filters shooting B&W generally if its sunny, and I'd think red would work since the snow would be reflective.

The Hoya filter factor chart shows 3 stops for the red 25A filter. Depending on the skier action, lens length and the sunny 16 rule I would anticipate shooting at 1/800 @ f11 with no filter. Three stops for the filter, 1/800 @ f4. Snow is reflective, meters get fooled easily by snow. One to two stops over exposure may be required.

There is a lot of information on the internet. Tips for Taking Better Photos in the Winter Snow | Analog Film Photography. Just search "B&W film Snow".

Fortunately Tri-X has plenty of latitude. Check out "Stand Develop" with either Rodinal or HC-110.

Have fun,

Phil

Thanks for the response.
@phil : Why use Stand Develop with either Rodinal or HC-110 ? in particular ?

I think i will use Kodak T-max 100 with orange filter. but i really want dark skies and i will try also with red filters :biggrin-93:. But I don't know which rev to use.

Here is the article that led to trying stand developing. Workflow Tutorial #2: Stand Development with Rodinal | J B Hildebrand Photography
I did not have Rodinal on hand, so a little research led me to try HC110 (actually Legacy Pro L110, same formula) 100:1. I like the resulting negatives, fine grain, so tried other films at various ISO. I have not tried it with any T grain films.

I would stick to ISO 400 or faster.

Phil

I would stick with your film Tri X if it's too bright, pull it, i shoot lots of HP5 not too different to Tri X. i use a handheld meter and take a incident reading (no meter in my film cameras) more accurate than your cameras meter
This is HP5 no filter iso400

scan400-XL.jpg

scan401-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back