KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It would be interesting to see how autonomous cars handle snow.

Our more specifically how an autonomous car will be able to judge driving surface traction.

Our more specifically how an autonomous car will be able to judge driving surface traction.
better than a human can. cars nowadays are constantly monitoring the rpm and wheel speeds of each individual wheel in relation to the rest of the sensor inputs, like engine speed, throttle position, and acceleration.

I can basically go full throttle in my 4matic in the snow and it maintains perfect traction.

You can watch it occur on video. IDOT camera footage courtesy of Chanel 13Raw:

13Raw: Watch Traffic Camera Footage of Fatal I-35 Pileup

I watched this yesterday. It takes quite a while for everything to get piled up. What is fascinating to me is that some drivers were able to come to a stop well before the crash site, only to be clobbered from behind by drivers who did not.

Thing is I put blame for bad weather onto governments in part.
In most western nations the road system and access to it is regulated by the government. You have to prove competency in safe driving before you are allowed to drive, and in most they require regular checks of older vehicles to have them continually prove that they are up to standard.

Thing is they don't do the same for drivers. You pass your driving test and that's it, you don't have to ever do it again unless you get caught driving badly. This means that you've got decades wherein drivers can become poor drivers through developing bad habits.
By forgetting things, by getting those bad habits; getting overconfident; having gaps in driving (eg a few months without a car) etc.... Even patterns of driving, eg if you only ever drive in daylight the winter drawing in of nights suddenly means you've got people out there not used to night driving - coupled to poorer weather.

There's also a "rush" culture with driving. You can't amble along when driving, you've got to drive as fast as is safe; and often as not someone behind you wants to drive faster; pushes right up to the bumper; hoots their horn etc... Even if you don't give in you've still got someone behind you being a distraction.

In any industry if you're using tools or machines most certifications expire. Even something as simple as a strimmer will have the recommended retraining period on qualification tickets. Even if its just to keep people informed on changes in policy and best practice not just keeping people trained in safe and proper use.
But with cars we don't have that. It's a shocking error, in my view. With cars you've got to drive bad and hvae your accident before retraining appears on the cards.

I'd honestly support if every, say 5 years you had to be retrained and pass a competency test. Even just a couple of hours with a good driving instructor can reinforce good practice and remind people of how to properly drive; fix up bad habits before they become too bad and, generally, keep people on the ball with regard to driving.

Retraining drivers. Good luck with that.

I've met people who actually think they are safer if they maintain highway speed through fog, snow, and rain.

True!

Re-training?
I wonder how many US drivers have ever had any formal driver training.

I think most high schools offer driver training, but wonder about how qualified the instructors are.
When I was in high school the Driver Ed instructors were usually the sports coaches.

The testing one has to pass to get a driver's license is a sick joke.

Last edited:
two of them.

actually, you notice how many trucks are involved in these things -- and those driver have to actually go through training and certification.

Aye though how many times is the lorry totally to blame? Granted in more recent years its improved; not only are lorries better, but they've brought in more strict regulation on the hours one is allowed to travel before you must have a rest. The UK ta least has really pushed to reduces the chances of lorry drivers suffering extreme fatigue brought on by company pressures.

Most were probably texting or on there phones.... Seriously. I see it all the time. You can see in the video that the visibility was poor, very low whiteout, foggy look. You have to maintain proper distance for conditions and if your on the phone you lose focus.

Funny how I own nothing but RWD cars and they have no problem driving in snow.

Aye though how many times is the lorry totally to blame? Granted in more recent years its improved; not only are lorries better, but they've brought in more strict regulation on the hours one is allowed to travel before you must have a rest. The UK ta least has really pushed to reduces the chances of lorry drivers suffering extreme fatigue brought on by company pressures.
I will readily admit that drivers in the UK are tested much more stringently than the US, and therefore probably better in average conditions.

We found out that most vehicles in the UK are not automatically equipped with all-weather tires. A little snow will flummox nearly every driver.

One of the best examples of expert driving was when I watched a lorry driver pilot his articulated lorry (a semi, around here) through a narrow village street with offset intersection without even touching the curb. and he did it at about 30 MPH. Let me tell you all that this was nothing but an expert maneuver. I was completely flabbergasted.

two of them.

actually, you notice how many trucks are involved in these things -- and those driver have to actually go through training and certification.
Testing for truck drivers (Class A Commercial Drivers License - CDL), the actual driving test, isn't much better than the testing for run of the mill drivers and once.
What certification are you referring too? Class A CDL endorsements - like for hazmat or double/triple trailers?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back