Snowboard Comp This Weekend

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got called to come shoot a Snowboard Comp this weekend.. gonna be SICK.. they've got some killer ramps, and we will be seeing some SICK air... i will be sure to post pics!!!

yeah i hear ya, i've been around it too being a rollerblader myself. what kind of settings do you usually use?

yeah i hear ya, i've been around it too being a rollerblader myself. what kind of settings do you usually use?

typically i shoot in manual and i expose for the snow, and use fill flash, but we will see what happens here... I dont know the surroundings at all... no idea what the weather will be either, if its sunny, dreary.. dunno..

Lucky, that would be so much fun to shoot.
And actually imo sunny days arent as hard to shoot as you would expect.

typically i shoot in manual and i expose for the snow, and use fill flash, but we will see what happens here... I dont know the surroundings at all... no idea what the weather will be either, if its sunny, dreary.. dunno..

since youre manually focusing, does that mean you'll focus on one spot you know they should be and then wait for them to get there?

Snowboarding is actually really fun to shoot. I brought my camera last weekend when I just went riding, anticipating taking mabye a few photos of some friends...I ended up taking over 200 photos haha. Just make sure you get the peak of the action and it'll look great.
snowboarding12-30145-1-1.jpg

Have fun!

since youre manually focusing, does that mean you'll focus on one spot you know they should be and then wait for them to get there?

I think me means he uses the Manual setting, not manual focus. Using manual focus would really be shooting yourself in the foot because with snowboarding it isnt really definite that where you are focused on will be where the good shot is, unless shooting stalls/handplants/ect.

I think me means he uses the Manual setting, not manual focus. Using manual focus would really be shooting yourself in the foot because with snowboarding it isnt really definite that where you are focused on will be where the good shot is, unless shooting stalls/handplants/ect.

ah that makes more sense. thanks.

So what other settings are you using then? If it's just exposure, couldnt you just be in Tv mode?

yea, manual mode, not focus... that would ruin a lot of pics especially since my glasses are useless to me!!

dont know what TV mode is. i use Nikon.. but no, i dont just adjust exposure.. shutter speed and aperture as well.. but I cant tell you what i'm going to use for them, because it will all depend on the environment...

as for sunny days.. I LOVE shooting snowboarding on sunny days, especially if there is a nice blue sky.. OHHH it makes for some great shots

sunny and -9 is the forecast.. so we'll see what happens

*crossing fingers for sunny clear day*

So what other settings are you using then? If it's just exposure, couldnt you just be in Tv mode?
The problem with using any of the auto modes (including Tv & Av) is that your exposure will change quite a bit, depending on where your camera is pointed. If it's mostly snow and a little bit of sky/background...you will want to be a stop or two above the meter...but if you suddenly point up to a blue sky or zoom in on someone (excluding most of the snow) then the meter reading will change and you will not want to be two stops above it anymore.

In a situation like this, it's likely that most shots will be in the same light, so if you just find the exposure that you want for that light and dial that into manual mode, you can point the camera wherever and not have to worry about the scene throwing the meter off.

Most reactions

Back