Snowy Colorado Mountain in the Clouds

Sure I'll give it a shot later on Charlie.

really very nice, great with those clouds and the light patterns in the trees are the added touch.

But I agree with some others that the FG appears dark, if you have luminosity layers you could try to play around with either bringing up the darks a tad, or even increasing the rim lighting on the trees which should have a similar effect of more dynamic range down there, more eye candy. If you have NIK bundle you should be able to do something similar with Viveza if your careful with where you place your adjustment point.

If you want me to play with it, feel free to PM me the flickr link. Really a stunning shot.

I hate the crop ratio :p. It is a landscape.. do 2:1 width to height ratio or something. You made it even narrower than your standard file. I think i like it better if you just crop it just below the mountain showing just a little bit of the trees. Keep the whole width, throw away most of the trees at the bottom.

really very nice, great with those clouds and the light patterns in the trees are the added touch.

But I agree with some others that the FG appears dark, if you have luminosity layers you could try to play around with either bringing up the darks a tad, or even increasing the rim lighting on the trees which should have a similar effect of more dynamic range down there, more eye candy. If you have NIK bundle you should be able to do something similar with Viveza if your careful with where you place your adjustment point.

If you want me to play with it, feel free to PM me the flickr link. Really a stunning shot.

Thanks! I will probably play with it some more tonight... will be interesting to see what every one comes up with. Didn't get the NIK bundle... just Silver. I might regret that down the road, lol!

I hate the crop ratio :p. It is a landscape.. do 2:1 width to height ratio or something. You made it even narrower than your standard file. I think i like it better if you just crop it just below the mountain showing just a little bit of the trees. Keep the whole width, throw away most of the trees at the bottom.

Standard 11x14 crop... I didn't shoot it as a Pano, although that might be fun to play with. Appreciate the thoughts... ;)

Lightened up a bit for C&C... It really is much lighter and much more detailed in PS here, than it is on TPF or Flickr, but I worked on the FG a bit to see what you think...

$Mountain lighter full.jpg

Here is the crop as suggested by Robin (Schwettylens)

$Mountain lighter.jpg

Lightened up a bit for C&C... It really is much lighter and much more detailed in PS here, than it is on TPF or Flickr, but I worked on the FG a bit to see what you think...

View attachment 10789

Better, may need to mask in a higher exposure (assuming you took one). Lots and lots of lost data/ detail in the trees. Hopefully you got more than one exposure, although the D800 should be fine to lift some more detail out of those shadows (to an extent).

View attachment 10790

Na, not feeling this one! The rolling hills and the shapes of the tree are very strong supporting elements.

Better, may need to mask in a higher exposure (assuming you took one). Lots and lots of lost data/ detail in the trees. Hopefully you got more than one exposure, although the D800 should be fine to lift some more detail out of those shadows (to an extent).

Na, not feeling this one! The rolling hills and the shapes of the tree are very strong supporting elements.

I actually did nine frame brackets, 2/3 stop between them. So I do have the exposures. BUT.. on my "calibrated" monitor... the shot looks good... doesn't need lightening. I wish you could see it! lol! So anything I do along those lines, is strictly for web viewing. I am amazed by the detail in the photos.. the D800 is truly in a class of it's own.

Yes.. I prefer the 11x14 format also.....

Thanks for the comments!

I mostly hate the crop ratio. Include the trees or whatever.. I just like to see landscape photography wider.

I actually did nine frame brackets, 2/3 stop between them. So I do have the exposures. BUT.. on my "calibrated" monitor... the shot looks good... doesn't need lightening. I wish you could see it! lol! So anything I do along those lines, is strictly for web viewing. I am amazed by the detail in the photos.. the D800 is truly in a class of it's own.

Yes.. I prefer the 11x14 format also.....

Thanks for the comments!

I'm jealous of your camera!

:D

pay no attention to Schwetty. Fauxtographers just don't know. :sexywink:

I agree, gipson. Keep the standard aspect ratio, the dark trees give the mountain life.

I agree, gipson. Keep the standard aspect ratio, the dark trees give the mountain life.

Unpopular! Robin is just into panorama mode! And he does some nice ones! ;)

You can call me Charlie you know!

Both my suggestion and Charlie's crop are not standard (native file ratio) aspect ratio :).

Most reactions

Back