Snowy zoo trip

Chiller

Mental case
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I always wanted to see what the zoo looked like in the winter, and when I heard it was gonna snow today, I made the trip over. The lighting was horrible, but it gave me a chance to practice with it.
Most of the animals were not out, but the ones that I really wanted to see were. I think I only saw about 8 people there, and pretty much had the run of the zoo to myself. We almost had a mini-tpf meet as Airic and Canoncan almost made it out. Lookin forward to their hike pics.

I had to shot this through a wire mesh, and it was feeding time. Just after this shot, they dropped in a dead rabbit....so I came back about half an hour later, and he did not look this clean.

164_6436aa.JPG

2. This one took a little photoshopping. The top half of their little cave was pretty dark, so I lightened it a bit.

164_6451aa.JPG

3. Enjoying some snow.

164_6458aa.JPG

4. Pacing......

165_6505aa.JPG

5. Pacing....

164_6452aa.JPG

6 More pacing......lost a bit of colour on this, cause of the dang window.

164_6445aa.JPG

164_6495aa.JPG

8. The Mayan waterfall

164_6490aa.JPG

:( Sure wish I went to the zoo :( You did great Carl and the images are fantastic. We probably walked 10 times more then you did and really did not see anything. I took a total of three images all day, an all time low for me.

Eric

That really sucks that the lighting was bad, some of the good shots look really grainy like #6. But #7 turned out perfect and you framed it well with good relief on the left.

Good call on going to the zoo on a snowy day.

Thanks Airic and Digitalis. I appreciate your comments.
Sure wish you guys came Airic. Man.. I had the zoo to myself and the animals that were out, were pretty cooperative. The only one that did not, was the Snow Leopard. Sorry to hear about the hike.
Thanks Hydrus, I appreciate your comments. . Im not that good with a lot of manual settings in low light, so today was a good day to try. Number 7 was actually shot through a fog filled window. I cleaned it off with my glove, but just could not get it right.

Thanks again

nice images. Number 3 is the better of the bunch IMHO! 3 is a great shot with a good exposure and a whole lot of interest... what is perculiar is seeing lions in the snow... i tend to think of the hot savanah for lions. :)

wow great shots Chiller!!! Is that the metro toronto zoo? I've always wanted to go as thats the closest zoo to me (other than African Lion Safari but I dont think thats open in the winter) I should go down soon. Hey, we should have a TPF meet in Toronto! Think about it, lol. I love #7 the monkey shot. The snowflakes look great, especially the ones stuck in its hair. Great capture! I also like #4, would look good b&w IMO. Thanks for sharing!

-Joe

What a different sight to see these along with the snow! Good choice to be going when no one would be there (well, not that you had that planned, eh?) ... and for the fact that the light situation was really bad (no need to explain to me how that can happen during the day ... we have not had ONE ok light situation from about Christmas here) your photos came out really well.

I do love the one of Mr and Mrs Lion contemplating the snow!
And the lynx is nice, too!

Hey, all of them are, but just Mr and Mrs Lion jump out at me! (Figuratively spoken --- thankfully :D)

Very nice series again, even though the light was horrible. The lion with the impressive canines is pretty cool. And the monkey shot is also very nice.

wooow! neat shots chiller....
i can not select just 1... :)
they definitely carry the 'chiller' tag... and i could say that they were yours if i saw them off hand.. love the way you shoot 'em
keep sharing

These are amazing shots, especially with low light. I love the compositions in all the photos. #2 is my favorite of the cat photos (great job w/ PS by the way) and the last is one of my favs too - i love the soft look of the waterfall. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back