So how good are you really at critiquing? ;)

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by vonnagy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    First of all, its not my photo. I'll give you more details later. be absolutely ruthless (you know you wanna ;) )

[​IMG]

2. 2Stupid2Duck

2Stupid2Duck TPF Noob!

Looks over exposed to me. Needs more contrast and down the brightness. Also, photoshop out the post in front of the dog. Actually, I'd also think about cropping from the right, about level with the front of the parked car.

Why do I feel I just fell into a cunning laid trap mate?

3. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

OK. I'll bite.

I don't usually do critiques because I'm not that technically great a photographer, and to be honest my photographic tastes seem to be different from the majority of people here....but I'm a bit bored and grumpy this morning so here goes ;)

1) It's a boring photo. There's nothing in there that interests me in the slightest.

2) It seems too bright. It's almost as if my eyes hurt looking at it for too long because it dazzles me, a bit darker with more contrast would have been better.

3) The telegraph pole....or whatever it is...runs through the middle of the dog. I don't know why it bothers me but it does.

4) the post in the left background runs through the car. See above.

5) Did I mention that it's a really boring photo. Why anyone would want to look at it for more than a couple of seconds is beyond me.

Hope I was ruthless enough for you. :)

4. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Alrighty, if this had been my photo, I would have looked at it, thought "What the heck happened here" and tossed it. There's too much going on, the contrast is off and there's just no composition.

That was pretty ruthless. Sorry.

Of course, I am sure I walked right into a trap as well! :wink:

5. vonnagy

Photos NOT OK to edit
    keep 'em coming ;)

unfortunately I can't do anything about contrast factor, it was the best quality scan of this photo i could find on the net.

6. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well I am too tired to list all the things that bother me about it but a small list will do.

1)too busy.

2)too many vert lines yet no point to draw the eyes to.

3) the alignment is off and does not work with this photo.

Off to zzz land now. After you spring whatever spymaster trap you I might get around to finishing this post.

7. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

well i'm going to go against the majority and say that i like it... it's interesting to me because there are lots of points of interest rather than just one... I'd leave the dog where it is - it looks like it's waiting to cross the road... i'd leave the contrast alone too - i see points of pure black and points of pure white and it all seems quite balanced... i've got a feeling aspects of it could be technically good tho i don't know much about the technicalities and rules of photos... i also like the lines of the pavement and the road and the way that car is just a wheelarch into the photo giving it that 70's americana feel... and i wouldn't crop it because to me, it's quite balanced anyway... :) :p

and if it was mine I might even be temped to give it a bit of a sepia tone, do an emulsion lift of it and drop it on some medium textured handmade paper and then frame it in a deep frame.... but that's just me. :D

8. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Now that would probably make it look pretty cool. Good call!

9. vonnagy

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yer on to something, capt'n! ;)

keep'em coming :D

10. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks like a William Eggleston photo (if it's not his it's right up his alley). I kind of like it.

It's a very busy photo. Assuming the horrible tonality is from the file and not the photo itself, my flavor would be to change the angle of view of the photographer by moving a bit to the right. I don't like the pole intersecting the dog, and the image seems so full except for the left edge. I think moving some to the right would move the pole (intersecting the dog) into the empty area to the left of the dog. Busy photos like this tend to look very cluttered when reduced to web friendly size. I think many people would find the image more acceptable if they were viewing a print (8x10+).

11. vonnagy

Photos NOT OK to edit
    not him, but it is done by a well known photographer and contemporary of Eggleston.

Yep, the web friendly image doesn't quite do it justice, but I don't have the original to scan in. :(

12. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok...I'm not very good at critiquing, either, but I do know I like the lines in the pic, too. It does seem too busy at first, but something about it draws my attention. I'm extremely curious as to what your reason for posting this is???