So I am my school's new photograper...

Patm1313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in several clubs at my school that I'm in for one reason: photography. These include the yearbook committee, an art magazine, and the school newspaper.

"Well, Pat, that's great! You get to take your passion into the monotonous prison that most call school," you say. Well, yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but I have several problems:

1. I'm not the most liked guy in my school, which can cause problems when I'm trying to get pictures.
2. I'm a freshmen. And few like freshmen bothering them trying to get their pictures. :meh:
3. I'm not rich, and I don't have a massive telephoto because of that fact. So I'm going to have to be right in people's faces, especially at sport and outdoor events. I'm working on funding for a 55-200 VR lens.

So, how can I combat these problems? I'm hoping that people will get used to "that twerp with the camera", and will just deal with me.

So, this might change the answer I give, when you say you are not the most liked it is because you are considered the bully/jock or is it because you just aren't popular? That might change how you want to approach things.

When I was in school EVERYONE loved the photographer *say cheese* :mrgreen:

I'd be inclined to advertise/offer your photographic services on the school noticeboard, such as sports photographer, drama photographer etc, it would be a good way for you to learn, make friends and sports teams love to get their picture in the paper after a cool win.

just a thought

All you've got to do is smile :)

i too was my schools photographer as I was the head of the year book... I didn't have the issue of not being liked, because I was pretty popular in school, but even on days when I couldnt be there, and I gave the camera to another YB member who, well quiet frankly was a loser, she still came back with great shots, because everyone LOVES the opportunity to be in the yearbook... when you see a shot, just go up and be excited, say "hey guys, can I take a shot for the year book" 9.9 times out of 10 they will say "heck yes you can" I garentee it... but the key is being outgoing about it.. not just moaping around and saying "um.. excuse me, guys, can, um, I take a picture for the year book" you've got the camera, your the man... you tell them how its going to be.. otherwise, you wont get any pictures

Get a lighting kit and convince the most beautiful girl in school to pose for you. Actually, get like three more. Then show off the pictures and all the girls will like you and want your services. Do you really care what the guys think?

Get a lighting kit and convince the most beautiful girl in school to pose for you. Actually, get like three more. Then show off the pictures and all the girls will like you and want your services. Do you really care what the guys think?

+1

:wink:

Pat:
Many ( MANY!!) years ago I was the "shooter" for the university newspaper. I also had to develop the film as well ( using TRI-X), so I could be a little creative in printing it ( cropping etc). Now with digital it's all so easy. What I remember was just be yourself, don't become one of "papparazi" and be in everyone's face. You may not be able to get close ups all the time but siwth some cropping, it's not a problem. I really had great time shooting the football games. But that's another story

I think it sounds like a great opportunity for you to become more popular, by getting out there and talking to people. Just be confident and respectful (know when the right moment is). Good luck!

So, this might change the answer I give, when you say you are not the most liked it is because you are considered the bully/jock or is it because you just aren't popular? That might change how you want to approach things.

The latter.

i too was my schools photographer as I was the head of the year book... I didn't have the issue of not being liked, because I was pretty popular in school, but even on days when I couldnt be there, and I gave the camera to another YB member who, well quiet frankly was a loser, she still came back with great shots, because everyone LOVES the opportunity to be in the yearbook... when you see a shot, just go up and be excited, say "hey guys, can I take a shot for the year book" 9.9 times out of 10 they will say "heck yes you can" I garentee it... but the key is being outgoing about it.. not just moaping around and saying "um.. excuse me, guys, can, um, I take a picture for the year book" you've got the camera, your the man... you tell them how its going to be.. otherwise, you wont get any pictures

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

in my school, when im walkin around for yearbook shootin. Everyones like "OOOOOH OOOOOH! take a picture me for the yearbook!!" They just have to see a camera and they will come to you.

Have people gotten mad at you before?

Take this as a supreme opportunity to master your journalistic skills. If anything you'll end up with one killer portfolio before you are even in art-school, and who knows, you may end up with a few more friends in the process. I'll bet you everyone you photograph who shows up at the ten-year-reunion will ask you if the original images exist and if they can get a copy - ca-ching! I smell opportunity
oozing!

Take this as a supreme opportunity to master your journalistic skills. If anything you'll end up with one killer portfolio before you are even in art-school, and who knows, you may end up with a few more friends in the process. I'll bet you everyone you photograph who shows up at the ten-year-reunion will ask you if the original images exist and if they can get a copy - ca-ching! I smell opportunity
oozing!

Haha..thats a really good incentive there too :wink:
But like everyone else says, don't be shy about it. Great opportunity
to meet people.

Most reactions

Back