So I bought an Infrared Filter

Eric.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
After looking at photos around deviantArt, I apparently really like Infrared. So I went out and bought a filter. Does anybody have any tips or anything like that in using it? I havn't had a chance to play around with it and I leave for Singapore tomorrow :D

i have a very important tip for you. if you'll try focusing with the filter on, you'll find it very hard.
so, first find your focus with the filter off and then place the filter on the lens.

And use a tripod because your exposures are going to be long.

Sorry I've been so late to reply, I'm on vacation right now :D. I use a 20D and a Tripod. I have the hoya RM-72 IR filter. It seems to work quite nicely. I'm wondering more about how I get the coloring now. I've seen some with a green sky, How do I achieve that?

Eric. said:
Sorry I've been so late to reply, I'm on vacation right now :D. I use a 20D and a Tripod. I have the hoya RM-72 IR filter. It seems to work quite nicely. I'm wondering more about how I get the coloring now. I've seen some with a green sky, How do I achieve that?
Why do you want a green sky? True IR will give you a rich black sky.

Thanks terri, I just have seen several photos that are infared with a light tealy colored sky, and I really like the effect. If you look on digitalmatt's site, he has several examples of what I'm talking about. I have only had several chances to play around with IR so far. It's better over here on this side of the world it seems (singapore) because the sky is much calmer and the trees don't move so much during a long shutter speed.

Most reactions

Back