So I built this suspension contraption in my living room.... *NSFW*

MyaLover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And I had to try it out myself before i had someone else on it. When the hubby came home he was a teensy bit angry... to say the least, that I built a 8ft x 8ft contraption in our living room. But he got over it and actually helped me assemble it the rest of the way. So here are the first test pics, let me know what you guys think, and if you have any interesting pose ideas too!

_MG_9647.jpg

_MG_9691.jpg

Oh boy! I envy your space to build something like that and I envy your skill. This is a neat concept, it makes me think of beauty and rebirth spawning from an ethereal womb, or something like that. The cold temperature is an interesting choice; it really colours the mood somewhat hostile or uninviting, especially when considering the seriousness of your stare.

got to admit im pretty jealous, those photos are beautiful
how did you do it?

*sigh* Shear genius, and a beautiful model, as well. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks everyone! These are just test shots. I will be able to do more when I have an actual model AND someone else behind the camera! Doing both can be exhausting! But some of the out takes are pretty funny, considering my balance isnt all that great ;)

I really like the term 'rebirth". I wasnt sure what to title these, but I think that may be it! My creativity always seems to be cut short once I get to the titling stage.

I will post a photo of my weird invention probably tomorrow. I plan to try a few more different things as I have a day off!! (finally!)

yea i like these ones, your exposures are alot cleaner then some of your others, good job :thumbup:

Mya, being a self port addict and always trying to come up with new ideas... how difficult do you think doing one really nice self port a day for an entire year would be?!
Difficult huh... yep thats what i thought... not sure if you've seen this on Flickr yet, but i was truly impressed, and thought you'd not only be inspired by the sheer brillance of this photographer but maybe give you some new ideas. ;)

365 - one self port everyday for a year

(i think they tend to get better towards the end.. you can actually see her skills getting better!)

Oh yes, her and i have talked on occasion through flickr mail! It would be hard, and If i didnt have a day job (becuz no one wants to see photos of me asleep watching the golden girls on the couch 297 times) I would try it. Photography for me though isnt about how many I can take. this idea I had for these shots was about a month in the works. I like the process, I like the design. I dont know if I would feel the same way doing a photo every day for a year. Does that make sense?

I dont know if I would feel the same way doing a photo every day for a year. Does that make sense?

Oh hell yes, defo... iv done a fair few self ports in the past, doing it everyday would be wayyy too much for me! I was just impressed by how many ideas this photographer had come up with... you'd think at some point your mind would just go blank!
Doing it everyday would also probably take the fun out of it... she must have had some real strong determination to be able to pull it off and i bet she's thinking 'never again!!'

Hey, these are really cool. In some weird way they remind me of Anne Geddes' work.

Good Lord, a self-portrait every day... now that's work.

Those are very good. Interesting setup.

Morgan:
I think that these border on being great. I would like to see them in black and white- the blue tint, though subtle, to me, takes away from what would be a classic pose. Stark White and Ebony Black, to me, would give a timeless quality to the images.
These must be difficult shots to manage on your own, but from a strictly picky point of view, I wish you had someone who could adjust for the unfortunate shadows - the one on your cheek in the first one and the shadow across your upper calf in the same picture. Also someone to fix your hair ( the loose strand in the first picture after you were in position). Your left foot looks quite uncomfortable, almost crappy, and your hand holding it is awkward. I would rather have seen it some what looser.
To my eye the second picture is the better one in terms of composition and position. It looks more comfortable even though it is more like a death case. It reminds me of photographs I have seem from the twenties and thirties. With the eyes open and a Mona Lisa smile it would be a very sexy pinup type of pose. Again there are shadows that bother me. The one on your left chest looks like a bruise, and extends across your chest to a lessor extent. Also your right hand looks like you dipped it in purple ink. Your left knee casts a shadow on your right leg that would look better if it weren't so prominent. I know you can't see these things while en pointe so to speak. And that is why you need an assistant.
You are much too vibrant and vivacious to do the pallor of death too often.
Just my 11/2 cents for all it is worth.
Judge Sharpe

Well first of all, thank you everyone for taking the time to comment!

And yes, it is very difficult to do these by myself, however, i do not do these for a living, so i d not want an assistant. The point of my self ports are for me to test an idea and also to relieve a little stress sometimes. its my wind down time. Just like some people write or draw or go fishing. So an assistant would not only be pointless, but it would also be invasive.

And a little secret... NONE of these photos were comfortable! hahahaha! So if one looks like it is, im glad to have fooled you.

Lastly, yes I am vibrant and vivacious. ;) But "pallor of death?" If that is your take on my photos, that is fine, everyone is going to have their beliefs on what my self ports mean. But what they "mean" to others, means nothing to me. What means something to me is the constructive criticism I get back on the technical aspects.

Great Photos... let's see one of the contraption! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back