So I feel like I'm In Over My Head

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rickabobaloey, Jun 17, 2010.

1. rickabobaloey

rickabobaloey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Title says it all. I picked up my camera today. I was planning on going w/ the Nikon D3000 but when I was at the store, the Canon Rebel XS 1000D just felt better to me. So that's what I went with.

I've got Understanding Exposure. I've got my manual for the XS. However, I'm getting overwhelmed already. Not really sure where I should start. Kind of wanting to take photos right now but it's nighttime and I'm unclear rather anything will turn out if I go outside.

I think full on manual mode is a little daunting for me at the moment.

2. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Play on Av (aperture priority mode) for a bit. Take a pic with the Aperture set to like f/3.5 or however low it goes, then try the same photo at f/11 or f/16. Take it little by little though, it takes weeks, even months, to get familiar with all the settings and jargon. Keep in mind people pay to go to college for photography..

Just be patient and you'll be alright. Post some stuff here when you get the chance. Good luck!

3. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Rick, hello and welcome to the forum.

One of the best features of your new camera is it is almost foolproof....thats right I said foolproof.

You can take a thousand photos, and if not one comes out satisfactorily, you can gleefully delete a thousand photos.

But...
    Just by the percentages of luck, some of the photos may come out that satisfy you. You can review those shots and see how you successfully took those photos. As time goes by, you will get better and better using and understanding you camera.

So - get out there and practice. Google and read online, maybe purchase some photography books and RTB - Read The Book(s). Do not expect overnight success and you are on your way.

Good Luck and I am sure in a couple of months the overwhelming feeling will turn to excitement!!!

4. rickabobaloey

rickabobaloey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess the saying 'Rome wasn't built in a day' has some merit here too, huh? ;)

I read Understanding Exposure back when I got it (about a month and a half ago) but because I didn't have a camera a lot of the stuff went right over my head. Should re-read it again and practice the techniques as I read.

Thanks for the advice guys! Even though I'm feeling overwhelmed, it is quite exciting. :D

5. Ballyn

Ballyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Rick!

The camera you chose is a great one to begin with! I started with the Canon Rebel XTi which is for beginners about 5 years ago, and I am scared to upgrade because I have learned the ins and outs of my camera. I know it better than MYSELF!

Don't be afraid to go outside. That's the best thing you can do. It took me about a year to feel confident enough to go out, take a shot and have it turn out badly, and turn around and know exactly what to do to make it right. At some point, you will just start doing things without even thinking.

I have been taking college courses for years, but nothing teaches me more than the practice I get on my own time. Just keep going! Post pics soon!

6. Sbuxo

Sbuxo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the Fray.

7. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's not that hard. Just read and play around. Don't get tangled up in the notion that you have to buy, buy, buy to be a better photographer.

8. katy625

katy625 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I read and read and read for 2 years before I bought my Dslr and I can say that all that reading was invaluable but it wasn't able to literally teach me how to use my camera. I had to teach myself by practicing. Practice all ofthe settings. I gave myself a lot of time to just sit and play with all of he settings and I was able to see how all the things I've read really work and after seein it all in action manual setting didn't seem daunting at all. It's actually a very free feeling to use manual because the exposure is all in your hands. Set aside a good amount of uninterrupted time that u don't feel rushed and just practice without puttig any pressure on yourself. U can take an unlimted amount of pics so u can practice until your hearts content

9. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Don't feel bad. I've been doing this 7 years and pretty obsessed with it during that time... I think I've gotten reasonably good and I STILL think I'm in way over my head. Photography has a steep and harsh learning curve.

Start with Program mode and when you find it does something that doesn't work for you, learn why, figure out what the appropriate mode is to meet your needs, and move to that mode in that situation. Over time you'll find you use major-auto modes less, and others more... or you won't. I know people who never take it off program and are as happy as a pea in a pod.

Good luck.

10. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome. Practice, and read, and look at other people's work. It is daunting and overwhelming. This site is a GREAT starting point. So much help from peers and pros, it's a great community. Don't be put off by criticism either if you decide to post.

11. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    ^^ What he/she said....

Practice and more importantly experiment. As with all experiments, sometimes the end result comes out successful and sometimes not. But you are always improving if you learn from both the successes and failure.

Also... don't think that you have to stay on manual to be successful. Even if you need to go to full auto to get started... its still a valuable tool if it does get you passed the initial "overwhelmed" stage.

12. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome, welcome. There are tonnes of people probably right along beside you. The good thing is you admit its overwhelming lol. Now go out and practice. Every day just take pictures of what interests you. Shoot is like mentioned program mode or Av mode and fiddle with your settings to see how things look different in each picture.

Understand exposure has some great little exercises that give you a hands on application so you can visualize what he is explaining. Another great book that i have found that has exercises in it (the book was geared for film but same principles can be applied to digital) is Photography and the Art of Seeing by Freeman Patterson- Canadian author but Im sure you can get an old secondhand copy.

Post some pics for critique that you liked and learn from your peers. This still is scary to me lol. Because most times I know the picture has flaws but I dont know why. Everyone on here has been helpful and honest. Ask questions and read lol. Good luck and HAVE FUN. Looking forward to some pics.