So I finally upgraded...Now what? lol

Kerplunq

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

So I have made the mood from my Fuji point and shoot to a DSLR. I grabbed the Nikon D60 (And man did I grab it at a steal of a price) Also got the 18-55mm VR kit lens also.

So far it has been pretty good for the starter things that I have been trying out. But now I'm looking at some new glass. I do have a few questions.

1) I'm looking to do a few animal and possibly some Macro shots. I have already looked at a few lens, but I would like to hear what other opinions I should go with.

2) Is there really a big difference between, a Nikkor lens and a Sigma Lens? I do know that one I may have to manually focus, but is there a aftermarket that would have something like Nikkors VR?

3) Is it a good idea to go with a used Lens, instead of a new Lens? After all, I am still new to photography and still have a lot to learn. Also the fundage isn't too huge!!! (since I just bought my camera)

4) I know the prices of new, what should I be excepting to pay for a used lens?

Now I have already done some homework and I have a bit of an idea of what to grab...I'm just looking to see what you guys would recommend!
Thanks for all your help! :D

Hey all,

So I have made the mood from my Fuji point and shoot to a DSLR. I grabbed the Nikon D60 (And man did I grab it at a steal of a price) Also got the 18-55mm VR kit lens also.

So far it has been pretty good for the starter things that I have been trying out. But now I'm looking at some new glass. I do have a few questions.

1) I'm looking to do a few animal and possibly some Macro shots. I have already looked at a few lens, but I would like to hear what other opinions I should go with.

2) Is there really a big difference between, a Nikkor lens and a Sigma Lens? I do know that one I may have to manually focus, but is there a aftermarket that would have something like Nikkors VR?

3) Is it a good idea to go with a used Lens, instead of a new Lens? After all, I am still new to photography and still have a lot to learn. Also the fundage isn't too huge!!! (since I just bought my camera)

Now I have already done some homework and I have a bit of an idea of what to grab...I'm just looking to see what you guys would recommend!
Thanks for all your help! :D
1. What have you looked at so far so we don't duplicate your effort.

2. No, not a really big difference.

3. It depends on the lens. You don't want one that has fungus.

4. It depends on the lens but glass depreciates at a fraction of the rate camera bodies do.

2) Is there really a big difference between, a Nikkor lens and a Sigma Lens?
Depends on the price point you're looking at. But Sigma does makes good lenses. So does Tamron and Tokina. And as long as they're designed for the Nikon mount you shouldn't have to manually focus them (unless you choose to do so).
3) Is it a good idea to go with a used Lens, instead of a new Lens?
Sure. But inspect the lens first. Most photographers know how to treat their equipment and will sell lenses in very good condition. Mostly every photographer I know buys used lenses.
Depends on the lens quality and the age of the lens. Many high end lenses hold their value really well and can be sold with maybe a 5 - 10% price reduction from new. Cheaper consumer/entry level grade lenses will lose more of their value and can go for as low as 40 - 50% off. Prosumer or semi-professional grade lenses probably lose about 15 - 25% of their value.

But you gotta do your research before you buy used. Check other sources to be sure the lens you're interested is being sold at a fair market price.

Thank you both of you for responding. I have been thinking of going used, just to save a few bucks. Was not too sure about the fungus on the lens thing...I'll have to do a little more research on what it looks like and how to find it...Unless its absolutly noticable.

The two len's I was looking at are:
Nikon AF-S 55-200mm VR DX Zoom-Nikkor F/4-5.6G ED
and
Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 DG for Nikon

I dont mind to have manual focus. Most the time my kit lens is placed on Manual Focus...Makes me feel like I'm taking more control over the picture then just pressing a button.

If anyone has any info and experiance on either of these lenes, I would be happy to hear, even if they are horror stories.

Thanks

Fast refers to the light gathering capability of a lens and it's relationship to shutter speed.

Unless you intend to take pictures of animals in low light situations you don't really need a $2000 lens like the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, the Nikon AF-S 55-200mm VR DX Zoom-Nikkor F/4-5.6G ED will work just fine. I use it to shoot soccer players all the time.
I don't know about the Sigma lens but I have Nikon's equivelent the AF-S 70-300 mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR and it is well worth the $600 it costs.

Alright, so then a slower lens would be alright if I was planning on shooting at a zoo or in the middle of the day with lots of sunlight? (which is about the time when I plan on shooting anyways)

I have done a lot of research on pricing and see what a lot of these lens are going for new and used. So I do have an idea of what i should be paying. Now this is a hobby for me and I still have a ton to learn. I'm just trying to get something thats worth my time and money...instead of just jumping on something and then regretting it.

Alright, so then a slower lens would be alright if I was planning on shooting at a zoo or in the middle of the day with lots of sunlight? (which is about the time when I plan on shooting anyways)

I have done a lot of research on pricing and see what a lot of these lens are going for new and used. So I do have an idea of what i should be paying. Now this is a hobby for me and I still have a ton to learn. I'm just trying to get something thats worth my time and money...instead of just jumping on something and then regretting it.

yes, the 55-200 would be fine at the zoo. however, when i upgraded from the 55-200 to the 70-200 the difference was like night and day (i do a ton of zoo shooting).

also if you're still looking at macro lenses and don't mind manual consider the AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D

Most reactions

Back