So i have a crazy idea...

midget patrol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
which would void every warranty on your camera body. But would it be worth it?

Here's my idea. Get a cheap body. Say, a d70 (or a d200 if you want all the controls to be on the body). Dismantle it--warranty's gone--but then start analyzing. And this would take a serious electrical engineer.

Theoretically it would be possible to upgrade the buffer to a higher capacity. That finished, you could go into the firmware and change the fps to a higher speed (unless the communication from sensor to buffer is the slowest, in which case you could upgrade that if you really want) because now you have a larger buffer.

As much fun as it would be to route around inside a camera, i think i'll pass on that one. Just throwing an idea around. I mean, you see computer mods and all sorts of other stuff... why not cameras?

*Here's my theory: somebody will make a modular camera one day. You can buy the basic body with totally basic external controls; something like the d50. Everything would be modular though. You could pop the sensor out and pop in a higher resolution one, update the firmware and you'd be good to go. Same with the buffer, extra external controls (metering, wb, iso, etc), add another control wheel. I really do think it'll happen sometime soon. (Cause if somebody else doesn't do it, I will)

I dunno, it seems kind of a fragile product if everything can be taken off. You're talking about OC'ing a camera like you would a PC, kind of. This is more hardware than software. If you were to do what you were saying, you would have do some board reconstruction, and than that would really make the camera FUBAR.

I would rather have a stock 8fps D2x instead of an overclocked D70.

To actually do it to a camera, yeah, we might be talking some board reconstruction. Definetly some new components, possibly some new routing as well. Honestly, the 8fps on the d2x is only at 6 megapixels, which is what the d50 and d70 shoot anyway. which is kinda disappointing.

With the firmware, I'm not so much talking about OC'ing so much as I am just allowing it to access the increased buffer.

And what i was talking about with the modular camera; it wouldn't need to be flimsy at all. Just easy to dismantle. It makes sense in my head, really.

Sounds like a good idea for someone who has a LOT of money to spend and a lot of time to kill, like Bill Gates(now that he isn't with MS anymore).

Most reactions

Back