So I have this crazy idea

curiousity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
360 degree picture by using a video camera rotating around a still object. I think I can accomplish this better by using a video camera over several cameras setup around the object.

Just wondering what some experienced people think about the idea, pros cons. I would like it to sync right to a computer to do some editing and what not with the image. I want to build a platform with a motor beneath it with a pivoting L bracket with a mount for a GoPro or whatever we can decide would work best.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and info!

You might want to look at this.
The way this is done is with a turntable and a stationary camera so you don't have to rotate the background, camera and lighting all at the same time.

The objects I'm taking are going to be very large, car size. Don't think a turntable is feasible

oh, lol then neither is a moving lighting system and a moving background and camera rig.
I'd still look at a scaled up version if the turntable set up, they have them at car dealerships with cars rotating around on them, so it is do-able.
Try your idea and post the set up you build and the resulting images you get.

Hmm sounds like a job for:
  1. flat bit of ground
  2. tripod
  3. measuring tape
  4. lots of experimentation
Place large object on flat ground or take camera gear to location. See if you can set a fixed distance from camera lens to object all the way round the object. Then take first photo noting measurement from lens to object. Replicate distance on remaining photos and see what you come up with.
OR....
Walk round the object using your phone's panoramic function.

Interesting to see what you develop.

Hmm sounds like a job for:
  1. flat bit of ground
  2. tripod
  3. measuring tape
  4. lots of experimentation
Place large object on flat ground or take camera gear to location. See if you can set a fixed distance from camera lens to object all the way round the object. Then take first photo noting measurement from lens to object. Replicate distance on remaining photos and see what you come up with.
OR....
Walk round the object using your phone's panoramic function.

Interesting to see what you develop.

Genius idea with the panoramic camera!

The pano app may not like the fact that there's no nodal point in the images. Multiple parallax errors (and huge ones at that) may cause it to fail.

So the panoramic idea was a bust. Doesn't understand the "outside in" angle of the shot and just doesn't work. Getting the camera to stay in focus along different distances from the object(which is oblong) is something I will need to work at as well

You will need to rotate the object in front of the camera, and have a depth of field that will keep it all in focus, or hyperfocus for the objects minimum and maximum distances.

They build turntables that accommodate cars. Unless you require bullet time in which you use multiple cameras in a ring. They did this ages ago with QuickTimeVR

Most reactions

New Topics

Back