So I shot in RAW...

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by wxnut, Mar 20, 2007.

1. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

whats next? I have CS2. I actually shot in the RAW and large jpeg mode. I opened both pics and compared and am just in awe at the improved quality in the RAW. So I open it in CS2 and a screen I never saw comes up. Allows me to adjust certain things but not do everything I need to do in photoshop. Pressing buttons... I come across "open" which brings it up in the normal photoshop window I am used to. So...

Do you fine tune in the first window thing, and then "open" it up into photoshop to do things like clone stamp and lettering and such?

What do I need to know about the first window / program that comes up? Any tips?

I think I am going to like RAW. :)

Thanks in advance...
    Doug Raflik

2. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    use a RAW converter (either supplied with your camera, or if PS can do it thats fine) to adjust the basics you need: exposure, white balance, sharpening, saturation, lens correction for aberations etc. After that you save the file (Tiff's are lossless meaning you can save over and over and not lose ANY quality) and open that file in PS to edit as you normally would.

3. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

I dont see an option to save as anything. I click the open button and the file is in PS. Guess I will look at file size and see if it loses anything.

4. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your camera should have come with software that includes the RAW converter so you can resave as another format.

5. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

I save as a tiff in PS without touching the picture and it went from 6.86MB RAW to 24MB as a tiff. Is that right?

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    CR2-Raw is 12 bits per colour channel, TIFF is 16 bits per channel, so that increases file size. also TIFF is apparently not really good at compressing, so it sounds OK what you get there.

7. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I noticed that when i take a high ISO photo, it shows up as having more noise (noticably more noise) in photoshop's RAW opener than they show in the RAW converter that was supplied with my camera... its almost like it ADDS noise or something because its noisier than it appears on the camera as well.... anyone know whats up with that?

8. RVsForFun

RVsForFun TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...but still a nice guy. I do shoot RAW for commercial work but rarely use the RAW data as I do a pretty good job controlling the exposure.

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that some RAW converters have different defaults for noise suppression/removal. I have found that I get different noise levels in different software as well. Some software even has a default setting for more noise suppression at higher ISO levels.

You shouldn't use the image on the camera's LCD to judge anything more than the composition. Those screens aren't good for judging exposure and you aren't actually viewing the RAW image...it's just an embedded JPEG so it's not representative of what the RAW file will look like.

10. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok, it just seems wierd because when i try and get rid of the noise in photoshop , it cant get it back to the way it looks going into sony's program, there's just a lot of color noise that comes out in PS, that i dont have to deal with in sony's program, I'll just use that one from now on, but i just thought it was wierd that it does that

11. chris82

chris82 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just started shooting in RAW and I havent had that problem.I find my images are a lot smoother and more sharp which is better I think.

12. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

I never have a problem with exposure either. Thats not all it is about. I shot a close up of a models face in high res JPEG and RAW and compared them side by side. The RAW was soooo much sharper I couldnt beleive it.

Doug Raflik