so.... i took a short break from shooting.

That could be anything very hard to tell it's a car, where is the nice lighting ?

Seriously? How could that be anything other than a Jag?

Yeah I don't know how you could miss that lol...

OP - just go find something else you enjoy and do it. The whole idea of a hobby is that it's something you do by choice. It's not a commitment that you need to justify or "prove" to anyone, including yourself. If you don't feel like doing it, don't do it. Pick something else up and maybe you'll go back to it sometime. I've had plenty of hobbies/interests come and go. Someone recently had a thread about RC cars, I spent more money than I'd like to admit in that hobby and now it's been 5 or so years since I've so much as looked at the thing.

That could be anything very hard to tell it's a car, where is the nice lighting ?

It's a headlight and says Jaguar. I thought it was nicely lit.

Ok, so it was a headlight. It said Jaguar. It was nicely lit. I still thought it was a penguin. Must have been one of those optical illusion deals. Or too many vodka martini's at lunch. Either way, could have sworn penguin.

Take it from twenty different angles and change the lighting does it really matter?
what are you going to do with it? Leave it on your hard drive for eternity? For what? why even take the photo?
That is kind of the place I seem to be in right now.
just seems pointless.
Maybe I just do need something interesting to shoot like already mentioned. Just cant seem to find anything I really want a photo of. :confused: Just doing it for the sake of "i am doing photography" seems to have run its course. Or maybe this isn't even really a problem and it is normal that as you go you tend to take less and less photos as the newness wears off.
LMAO

Ok, so it was a headlight. It said Jaguar. It was nicely lit. I still thought it was a penguin. Must have been one of those optical illusion deals. Or too many vodka martini's at lunch. Either way, could have sworn penguin.
penguin, headlight, no matter. Either way another file on the drive all seems to kind of be the same thing.

you guys probably noticed I disappeared for a bit. Also dumped the electronics tv, internet and everything else for about a month or so.

Thought my attitude might improve with a little break.
it didn't.

I still cant seem to find much im interested in shooting and my attitude still generally sucks.

Still taking family photos, other than that Im not seeing much else I have a interest in.

just most things I think of shooting, seem more a wasted of time than anything to me right now. I look at it, then just keep moving.

went to a car show a couple weeks ago. Had my camera. A guy asked me if I was shooting the cars in the show. it occurred to me I hadn't taken a single photo of a car. So I told him no, I didn't really care if I had photos of the cars.

skipping by on abstracts too now.

just not finding anything I really want to shoot or care to have a photo of.

No offense, but this lack of caring sounds like it might be some form of chemical brain imbalance, or some type of depression-related, or apathetic type of response to life situations. It might be some kind of mental "issue" that could be modified in any of several ways (medication. exercise, cognitive therapy, active visualization, crystals, yoga, meditation, and so on and so on, ad infinitum). I mean...you see stuff and there seems to be no emotional connection, no desire to act...maybe there's something going on inside? Again, not trying to offend, just thinking out loud and saying what's on my mind rather than beating around the bush about things. And YES, I was wondering where you had gone to, just a day or so ago! I saw some of your old posts, and wondered to myself what the heck had happened to you bribrius! Good to se you back. I missed your direct, unfiltered style of posting.

Stop taking pictures of things and start making images that convey ideas. Works for me. I don't shoot too much, but when I do I always have an idea in mind. I never just carry a camera around hoping to see something interesting. I tried that for a while and found myself exactly where you are now. These days the camera comes out when I know what I want to shoot.

you guys probably noticed I disappeared for a bit. Also dumped the electronics tv, internet and everything else for about a month or so.

it didn't.

I still cant seem to find much im interested in shooting and my attitude still generally sucks.

Still taking family photos, other than that Im not seeing much else I have a interest in.

just most things I think of shooting, seem more a wasted of time than anything to me right now. I look at it, then just keep moving.

went to a car show a couple weeks ago. Had my camera. A guy asked me if I was shooting the cars in the show. it occurred to me I hadn't taken a single photo of a car. So I told him no, I didn't really care if I had photos of the cars.

No offense, but this lack of caring sounds like it might be some form of chemical brain imbalance, or some type of depression-related, or apathetic type of response to life situations. It might be some kind of mental "issue" that could be modified in any of several ways (medication. exercise, cognitive therapy, active visualization, crystals, yoga, meditation, and so on and so on, ad infinitum). I mean...you see stuff and there seems to be no emotional connection, no desire to act...maybe there's something going on inside? Again, not trying to offend, just thinking out loud and saying what's on my mind rather than beating around the bush about things. And YES, I was wondering where you had gone to, just a day or so ago! I saw some of your old posts, and wondered to myself what the heck had happened to you bribrius! Good to se you back. I missed your direct, unfiltered style of posting.
Not offended. All good. And could be. stopped drinking as much that could be part of it. Maybe I need to drink more.

Stop taking pictures of things and start making images that convey ideas. Works for me. I don't shoot too much, but when I do I always have an idea in mind. I never just carry a camera around hoping to see something interesting. I tried that for a while and found myself exactly where you are now. These days the camera comes out when I know what I want to shoot.
huh.
could be what it is.
no one ever said you have to take photos all the time.
Maybe it is better left put away until I find something that really draws my attention. Better than snapping lots of photos you don't care about.
you drink much?

penguin, headlight, no matter. Either way another file on the drive all seems to kind of be the same thing.

Why bother breathing? Your going to die anyway. Seems pretty pointless going through all that effort considering the end result will remain the same.

Or maybe, just maybe what's important is the journey.. not the destination.

I think Derrel may have hit on something.....Bribrius, you mentioned that you had a stroke......I have seen a lot of my family deal this this problem....I assume you have a neurologist....if so, discuss the feelings you have having (not just about photography), and they may be able to explain to why....it really does have a lot to do with damage caused by the stroke......good luck, my friend.....oh, and I laid down photography for 20 years, and am not picking it back up.....sometimes, it takes a while.....

it didn't.

^THIS.
When I read your first post, my very first thought was, "sounds like exactly how I used to feel when I was clinically depressed."

So, let me ask you something. Photography is just not seeming "worth it" to you right now. Okay. What DOES seem worth it? What gets you excited? If you had the time, RIGHT NOW, what would you actually ENJOY doing?
Anything? Your second post (I think it was the second) listed some of your other hobbies, but ended with "I dunno," suggesting none of them hold much interest for you right now either.

You said you're "not drinking as much." Are you trying to STOP drinking? Do you have a drinking problem? I'm asking those more as rhetorical questions, not something I'd expect you to answer on a forum, to a complete stranger--but something you do need to ask yourself, because trying to give up drinking, if you have a problem with, is a major stressor and pretty tough to do with some emotional assistance/counseling and the like.

I'd suggest you first make sure YOU are healthy and "okay" before you concern yourself with what to do about photography. My suggestion? Take a quick, online depression screening test (google it and find one). It's not a definitive diagnosis or anything, but it COULD help you decide if you might need to at least discuss the possibility with a doctor.

As someone who has been there, with no desire to do any of the things they used to enjoy, I can tell it's not a pretty place to live, so I just want to make sure that you make sure it's not the cause of your emotional state right now.

I think Derrel may have hit on something.....Bribrius, you mentioned that you had a stroke......I have seen a lot of my family deal this this problem....I assume you have a neurologist....if so, discuss the feelings you have having (not just about photography), and they may be able to explain to why....it really does have a lot to do with damage caused by the stroke......good luck, my friend.....oh, and I laid down photography for 20 years, and am not picking it back up.....sometimes, it takes a while.....
Thanks.
I like my neurologist
he gives me meds.
but he keeps telling me to quit smoking and drinking.
they suggested I become a pro photographer since I probably wont be returning to my previous gainful employment.
But it doesn't pay chit
so I told them maybe they are the ones with the head problem.

it didn't.

All I'm gonna ask you is: are you happy? I'm not asking if you're happy about the shots you've been taking or if you're happy about photography or if you're even happy with picking up a camera. Because the answer to those questions is already obvious. I'm asking if you're just happy in general. If your outlook on life, is similar to the way you're viewing photography right now then of course you're going to think that everything is a bother. If you're not happy with your life, you're not doing what you love. You took a step back, that's good. But I think you need to take a bigger step back. Give yourself more time to try and figure out what the real problem is. ;)

Most reactions

Back