So I Want To Buy a Zoom Lens

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by chantal7, Jul 8, 2008.

1. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello.:thumbup: I'm interested in a zoom lens (I don't have any other lenses but standard ones) so this will be my first zoom lens. I am not really interested in the non-IS lenses, because you my as well pay a little more for a waaaay better quality. I am currently using Canon Rebel xti just for reference.

I am leaning towards the Canon EF-S 55-250MM 4-5.6 IS Lens. Is this a decent lens to use? Have you used it before? How do you like it? Just thought I'd get some feedback on this type of thing before I impulsively buy it. Thank you!! :)

The lens is here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=150&modelid=15700#ModelTechSpecsAct

Cost: 349.99CAD
    http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...rtmentId=10404&categoryId=11802&itemID=225376

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What range of 'zoom' lens are you looking for? 10-22mm or 100-400mm or somewhere in between?

That is a very new lens, I don't know anyone who has used it yet. Your best bet for reviews would probably be the usual review sites...FM, DPreview etc.

I'm hoping, for Canon's sake, that this is a decent lens...but the truth is that this is a consumer level lens and will probably have some compromises in quality in favor of size, weight and price.

If you want a better quality lens, look at the 70-200mm lenses. There are four Canon models to choose from.

3. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm okay, I didn't realize it was so new. I'm not too entirely suyre what range I'm looking for. Just something in between perhaps? Not TOO expensive and not so crappy either.

I'm not understanding about what you said about a consumer lens, though?
    I've checked out the 70-200mm lenses and it's way out of my price for right now. The most I want to spend is 400. My fault, I forgot to mention that :blushing: I will probably check out the site reviews, and thank you!

Edit: I did check them out, a lil bit, wow, they get technical! lol.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    By 'consumer' lens...I mean lenses that are not top quality...they are designed to be attractive (affordable) to general consumers...rather than pro photographers who want higher quality rather than lower cost.

It sounds like you are looking for something better than the cheaper lenses...but something that is not too expensive...well join the club :lol:

You say you don't have any lenses besides the standard ones...which one(s) do you have? The typical lens that comes with the XTi is the 18-55mm (zoom) lens.

If you are becoming aware that the cheaper lenses aren't as good as the more expensive ones...then my advice would be to save up and get a good quality lens...because then you will never need or want to upgrade. If you buy a $400 lens, you will find that you want to upgrade again...maybe in a month, maybe a year but you will want to.

What do you want the lens for? What do you primarily shoot? Are you looking for a longer lens, to shoot things farther away? Do you want a lens for shooting action or moving subjects?

5. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I suggest saving up for 70-200 F/4 IS USM

6. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just have the typical lens that comes with the xti. I just want something different but not so crappy either. I might want to upgrade after I buy the 400$ one, but I at least want something affordable for right now, and that's all I can afford. Maybe you're right I should save up some money, but I'm still deciding. I'm not professional or anything so I am not sure I'd want the top quality one.

I was just wanting something that's fun - I do enjoy taking pictures from a distance away, which is why I chose to maybe look at some zoom lenses. I can't really say I like to shoot one particular thing. I find myself wanting to get closer to something, and by the time I got there the thing I saw is gone or it's moved, so I don't get a photo. With the standard lens you can only zoom in so far. I'm not really into the action shots so much, like hockey for example. Probably more into the moving objects.

I'm still learning a lot from DSLR's so I don't quite understand everything yet.

Hmm, working part time, that might be like 5 years - lol. I'll consider this though.

7. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    You have one - it's an 18-55. You want a longer focal length.

And re: taking moving pictures, you are NOT gonna get good results for moving objects, with a really long zoom that's cheap. It doesn't let enough light in.

This may be a decent option depending on how far away you are.

8. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    Shoot, im no professional, I also have the XTi, im saving up for $1700 EF 70-200mm F/2.8 IS USM

9. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You seem to be confusing 'zoom' with 'telephoto'. A zoom lens is any lens that can change it's focal length, not necessarily a long lens. A lens with a long focal length (to shoot things farther away) would be called a telephoto lens.

So you want a telephoto lens with IS and under $400. I think you were on the right track in the first place with the EF-S 55-250mm IS. Another option would be the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM but the price might be a bit higher than $400.

Lastly, I would shop around. I've heard some good things about Henry's...but their prices are usually pretty high. I've found that it's usually cheaper to buy from the US, even with shipping costs and brokerage etc. I recommend the two places with links at the top of the page...B&H and Adorama.

Don't worry about that...we are all still learning.:)

10. ruaslacker2

ruaslacker2 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Save your money for the 70-200 f/4 L. The non IS version is one of the best lens for the money.

11. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    Just to make sure, do you even need IS? Or do you just think you do? Its not worth the extra money if your not needing it. What will you be using it for if you dont mind me asking.

"I am not really interested in the non-IS lenses, because you my as well pay a little more for a waaaay better quality."

Well IS doesnt really have to do with quality...

12. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, that goes to show I didn't know there was a difference between zoom and telephoto - so thanks for clearing that up. I've bought a flash from Henry's, and it was cheaper than here - it's a good site, except they are a lil expensive like you said. I'll definitely shop around though.

Yes, I do want a longer focal length, if you put it that way. I'm not going to be taking action shot pictures, I mean would something like a squirrel be so bad?

I just thought the IS would be an extra feature to have - but maybe not. I don't know enough about this stuff so that's why I'm posting this here