So I was thinking, and now I'm curious . . .

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
#1. Why aren't there more SLR type medium format cameras with interchangeable lens systems? I guess the real question is why they still look so old and boxy? Certainly you could build a modern body like and oversized 35mm body for them now? I have seen one or two (from contax and fuji?) And of course the Pentax 6x7.

#2. Why did the big names (Canon, Nikon, Minolta) stay away from medium format? No market to match 35mm?

#3. Why did no one else step up to the plate with cheapo entry level (so to speak) medium format cameras like, dare I say it, Holga (please don't hurt me! :oops: )

Just getting the 6x6 bug now and have lots of questions like this :roll:

As I know nothing about the subject I feel I'm perfectly under qualified to answer. So here you go.

#1. Why aren't there more SLR type medium format cameras with interchangeable lens systems? I guess the real question is why they still look so old and boxy? Certainly you could build a modern body like and oversized 35mm body for them now? I have seen one or two (from contax and fuji?) And of course the Pentax 6x7.

Price and weight? They probably look boxy because that's the product trademark. When people think medium format they think big box. Also, making it nice, modern and new may turn people away. The seasoned pros may think it's just a cheap gimmick.

#2. Why did the big names (Canon, Nikon, Minolta) stay away from medium format? No market to match 35mm?

There isn't a big enough market for them. They know 35mm and have all the facilities. Plus they have a customer base to satisfy. Why step into medium format which is a bit of a risk? Look how long it's taken Minolta to enter the dslr world.

#3. Why did no one else step up to the plate with cheapo entry level (so to speak) medium format cameras like, dare I say it, Holga (please don't hurt me! :oops: )

Snobbery? Holga's are far from the perfect camera. Maybe no-one wants to be seen in the same light? You've also got the issue of if one company starts making them, then the others will have to join in. In the end you have lots of cameras not selling for as much as they could. It's similar with football shirts here. They can be sold at profit for ÂŁ10. But they cost ÂŁ35-40 because everyone makes more money that way. Holga's don't sell that well either. Outside of the medium format world no-one knows of them (I didn't until I joined here) so there's no real market out there.

there are plenty of cheapo medium format cameras that take extremely sharp shots. im looking at three of mine as i type this.

yashicamat 124g
kodak tourist
bronica SQ-A

all three of those dont even match the price of my 10D

md

All good points and easy to see.

MD I was actually thinking a Yashicamat will be my next 120shooter but I'm just being really cheap right now :wink: Hoping the Argoflex and a Holga will passify me for awhile :oops:

Speaking of Holga's, yes I have decided I AM going to buy one sometime in the next month. I think I have thought of a couple new tricks to add to the long list of mods out there :wink:

my yashica cost me 50 bucks on ebay. and it is in perfect working order. i started getting a small light leak on some exposures, but there is a guy that is the GURU fixing those cams, he has all the spare parts.

anyways, if you like the awesomeness of MF, ebay is your place to be.

md

If you're think of mini fridges and flashing lights you're too late. I posted the patent last night.

*hopes canon fan doesn't find an e-mail address to the patent office*

Canon Fan said:

There are a few nice 6x4.5 cameras with all the modern SLR features (eg pentax 645, mamiya 645, I think rollei makes one, probably many others).

Pentax 645:
645N-pc.jpeg
(courtesy luminous-landscape.com)

Mamiya 645:
mamiya-645-pro-tl-pack.jpg

You can also get some interesting russian versions cheap on ebay (e.g. Kiev 60 and also the pentacon SIX, both of which look like giant old manual focus 35mm SLRs ).

I think the format used to be more popular - just look at all the old medium format folders around, for example. There was also the precursor to the holga (diana, I think?). And remember, TLRs used to be very common - there are like 300 weird little offbrand 6x6 TLRs around with weird names that follow the formula {randomnoun}flex (colourflex, babyflex, beautyflex, woodpeckerflex). I hear from an oldtimer that you used to be able to buy 120 film at every drug store, but now it's just not popular except among professionals.

No flashing lights involved Ferny but now that you mention it I bet a disco themed Holga would sell great in the states! :lol:

WOW MD $50? I haven't seen them for under $100 :(

I have spent my time on Ebay almost entirely since I started this thread and am SERIOUSLY looking at some of the Kiev60's and 6v's nice alternative really.

Water23 I dig those. Very nice and WAY out of my budet! :cry:

So is this and makes me need a drool rag :roll:

1416342-105mmfujipan5.jpg

However the wife doesn't dig the $3000+ price tag :cry:

MDowdey said:
does that say 6x17?

md

Ya not a typo :shock:

60x170mm :shock: sure I'll take two and that blond in the corner thank you. That'll be American Express . . .

Canon Fan said:
MDowdey said:
does that say 6x17?

md

Ya not a typo :shock:

60x170mm :shock: sure I'll take two and that blond in the corner thank you. That'll be American Express . . .

:shock: :shock: :shock: thats awesome!

md

Wow.....this thread sure does have some purty pictures in it..... :shock:

I want the Pentax!!! No, lemme try the Mamiya!!!

oh...oh...oh.... me want more!!! :(

Most reactions

Back