So I was thinking, and now I'm curious . . .

I always thought someone like Tamron should make lenses for medium format using there adaptal lense system.

Canon Fan said:
#1. Why aren't there more SLR type medium format cameras with interchangeable lens systems? I guess the real question is why they still look so old and boxy? Certainly you could build a modern body like and oversized 35mm body for them now? I have seen one or two (from contax and fuji?) And of course the Pentax 6x7.

#2. Why did the big names (Canon, Nikon, Minolta) stay away from medium format? No market to match 35mm?

#3. Why did no one else step up to the plate with cheapo entry level (so to speak) medium format cameras like, dare I say it, Holga (please don't hurt me! :oops: )

#1: I guess it depends on your perspective. The basic design of the 35mm SLR started with a camera called the Exacta, and it's a pretty old design. Most medium format SLR designs came after.

Also many medium format SLRs are designed to be modular. For instance with a Hassy 500 or 501 style camera, Maymiya RB/RZ, Bronicas, and similar systems you can not only change the lens, but also the viewfinder and the the film back.

There are dozens of different styles of viewfinders from the simple waist level finder, to a metered prism finder like in a 35mm SLR or DSLR, to viewfinders that stick out in different directions and have all sorts of different purposes.

Interchangable film backs not only allow you to switch between different film types (color, BW, Polaroid, slides, etc...) in the middle of a roll, but many camera systems have different size image formats. A Hassy can handle 120 film backs that take 12 6x6 frames or 16 6x4.5 frames, polaroid backs, 220 backs, and even a few weird sizes like 4x4cm.

#2: I think you are right on the marketing issues. The guy who designed the Nikon F 35mm SLR wanted to make a medium format SLR, but Nikon said no. So he went to a different company to do it. You can find the camera he designed under the name Norita 66.

#3: There are thousands of cheap, entry level consumer medium format cameras out there. Didn't you just get a TLR for $15? Once upon a time most folks shot medium format not 35mm film. The modern market just doesn't support the companies to keep producing new versions. There are many vintage medium format consumer cams available in pretty good shape for under $30: TLRs, folding cameras, box cameras, etc... Check out the Agfa Clack; it's a 6x9 camera very similar in functionality to a Holga.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back