So, I'm an idiot. Need to correct the wrong I did.

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
So, I sold all my MF gear over a year ago. I thought I should have kept some of it back just in case. I actually had a brand new old stock body in it's box still. Well like an Idiot I let it all go. :BangHead:

Guess what. I would like a MF system again. :02.47-tranquillity: I do have some spare Bronica SQ items laying around that I had and didn't realize it when I sold the kits out. But it's not enough to get back into Bronica's. I don't want Holga's, and I don't want to pay for Hassy's. Those are the only 2 systems I really know other than reading about. I also would like interchangeable lens. Mamiya and Pentax seem to be the front runners in what I'm willing to pay and seems a bit available used. Would like 6x7 or 6x6 and can always go down to 6x4.5 with backs I assume. I even had 35mm backs for my SQ's. Suggestions on models? Any models to stay away from for sure? This will be for personal use only.

Still possible to find low-mileage Bronica SQ-B bodies and kits. Basic model with no capability for AE finders or other SQ accessories. No T setting, if that matters.

Pushing the portability envelope in 6x7 is the Mamiya RB/RZ67. The size/weight penalty so many rant about is offset by great optics and straightforward mechanical operation in the case of the RB67. Newer is better, so look for a Pro S or Pro SD body. No personal experience with the RZ series. The RBs are not fast-handling but do deliver stunning images on a tripod. The rotating back--allowing quick landscape-portrait orientation swaps with no camera flipping--is killer.

Actually, I looked recently for SQ items and there weren't many available. Lenses even less, which surprised me. I had SQ, SQ-A, and SQ-Ai bodies. Full compliment of finders, winders, backs, lenses, etc. I should have kept 1 set. I always wanted to try a Fuji. Was looking into them. Guess I should look into the RB's. Lots of them available.

Why do you want MF? I recently dove into MF to slow me down. Back in the film-only days I had a Hasselblad. But I wanted something more adjustable and I went with a Fujifilm GX680III. Pretty much tripod only, a studio type of camera ... eight pounds of Fuji beast. It will shoot 6x8, 6x7, 6x6, 6x4.5 and a lot more.

Larger negatives. That's why someday I may want something that uses 120 film other than vintage bakelite and Holga whatnots just for fun.

Well, long story short. I have film. I have processing equipment, still have scanning equipment, I used to shoot it all the time. I'm also slowly getting back into 35mm. I still have my LF 4x5 as well. Bronica was gone as a system. So even if I moved to MF digital, I had to change systems. I was not thinking about film at the time.

Sold my Mamiya 645 last year (needed funds for my teeth :biggrin-93:). So only 120 I shoot with now is my Voigtlander. Any 120 film camera at the store where I work sells within a week. I can't work any deals as we always get the selling price. With 35mm film cameras there is always wiggle room on the price.

I really liked the Mamiya and would buy again at the right price.

Mamiya 645 AFD's are not bad in price, have not investigated lenses yet.

Pentax 67 or Mamiya RZ67

Hmmmm.... maybe you can buy all of my clean Bronica SQ stuff...

Hmmmm.... maybe you can buy all of my clean Bronica SQ stuff...

I would not want to do that to you. Then in a year or so, you will want it back. :allteeth:
Maybe you would like to long term loan it to me. :aiwebs_016: And then when you get that urge and feeling of missing it. Have me send it back. :allteeth:

Pentax 67 or Mamiya RZ67
I have been reading on the Mamiya RB's and RZ's. Almost bought a Fuji 680III but remembered how big it was said to be. But having the movements looked good to me. Then I backed off to the Mamiya 645AFD. But have not looked lately. All over the place with options and trying to figure out what has the best availability in lenses, backs, and such.

People seem to think the RZ's are heavy and should only be used on a tri-pod or in the studio. Ive carried mine all of downtown Austin and very long hikes. Never had a problem.

The best values in medium format that I can think of would be either a clean, 120-converted Kodak Medalist, or a Yashica or Yashica-Mat 124 or 124-G. Both are very nice cameras for what they are. The Medalist is a very interesting camera, especially if it's been modded to take factory-spooled 120 film instead of the old 620 Kodak size. Other inexpensive twin-lens reflex models like the Rolleicord, Minolta Autocord, or the Chinese-made and MUCH newer Seagull might also be decent values if all a person wants to do is shoot and soup some rollfilm!

Still possible to find low-mileage Bronica SQ-B bodies and kits. Basic model with no capability for AE finders or other SQ accessories. No T setting, if that matters.

Pushing the portability envelope in 6x7 is the Mamiya RB/RZ67. The size/weight penalty so many rant about is offset by great optics and straightforward mechanical operation in the case of the RB67. Newer is better, so look for a Pro S or Pro SD body. No personal experience with the RZ series. The RBs are not fast-handling but do deliver stunning images on a tripod. The rotating back--allowing quick landscape-portrait orientation swaps with no camera flipping--is killer.

The RZ was one of the greatest camera systems ever. A precision instrument in every respect. I miss mine.

Most reactions

Back