So, I'm going to shoot a wedding

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is for a friend/coworker. He knows I'm a photography hobbyist, and has seen some of my images.

I gave the couple my best speech on why they should hire a pro. Talked about how much they are spending on the wedding for temporary things: dress, venue, catering, and how the photographs would be some of the most important and lasting things to remember the wedding. I just couldn't convince them to hire a real photographer - "we would be happy with cell phone snapshots, so whatever you can do will be great"

Of course, the bride proceeds to show me her Flickr collection of image ideas - filled with brilliant images by obviously talented professionals.

Anyway, I'm doing it. There's some challenges I'm hoping to get help with. I'm using my Nikon D5100. I have 3 Nikkor lenses: the kit 18-55, a 50mm f1.8, and a 70-300 (probably won't even bring the 70-300). I have two Yongnuo speedlights with a remote. I also have a couple of light stands and umbrellas.

Biggest challenge: low light. Wedding is in December, indoors, in the evening. I'll be relying heavily on those speedlights. The venue has high ceilings and tungsten chandeliers and some recessed ceiling lights. I snuck in there yesterday to look at the place and take some test shots, but it was daytime.
I'm considering renting a faster lens, like a Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC from lensrentals dot com. Opinions?

Group shots: I'm thinking I will use the two speedlights on stands and hope they will light the groups enough. Should I gel the speedlights to try and match the tungsten?

Walk around shots: I will either try and carry a speedlight with one hand and shoot with the other, or maybe mount a speedlight on the camera. I also use a "rogue flashbender" to bounce/flag/snoot the speedlight.

Another challenge is that the beautiful bride is rather ...round. any tips for flattering poses for a heavy bride would be helpful.

I'm posting here hoping for help selecting a lens to rent, and for any helpful tips. I really appreciate any help or suggestions.

although there are exceptions, (like our Tampa aquarium wedding) flash is usually frowned upon during the ceremony.
for reception, and pre wedding shots flash will be fine. we used rogue flashbenders as well with great results.
I cant help much for flattering poses, but i will recommend NOT shooting low, or close with a wide-ish lens.

Instead of guessing and hoping, you would do better by practicing. A lot. Even more than you think.

What kind of venue? Is this a church? Even if it is a church, you might be able to get in there a few times to test your equipment. Naturally, you will want to talk to the people in charge, and pick days/evenings when nothing else is going on. Test your lenses, test your lights, test your timing, everything.

Do some research online about how to do weddings, how to photograph a heavy bride, what lenses, etc. that real wedding photographers use, and all the rest. You've got some time, but not an abundance of time.

I was worried about using flash during the ceremony, and asked the event planner and couple about it. They all said they didn't have a problem with it. I'll certainly try without flash, and try to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Thank you designer. This is a reception hall at a golf course. I actually went there and took some shots already. Looked at the lighting, potential backgrounds. I really want to get in there in the evening when it is dark.

I'm trying to do the best I can, practicing, testing, and research.

Thanks for the replies!

Treat this like a professional job. Visit the ceremony venue and talk to the officiant. Ask him/her about flash during the ceremony, NOT the planner. They could not care less. Also ask where you can/should stand, and if there are any other rules. You DO NOT want to be the one getting scolded during the ceremony. Scout the venue at about the time of day you will be shooting and look at the lighting, make sure you have your camera do lots of test shots.

Talk to the couple about their footing the bill for your renting a higher-end body & a couple of lenses. Explain that your gear is not meant for this sort of work, and the results won't be as good as they could be. Regardless, practice a LOT. Make sure you know what you're doing with your lights, and practice rear-curtain sync and other techniques.

Before it's too late I would consider telling them you've reconsidered, that you appreciated them thinking of you, that you don't have the equipment or expertise to do this, etc. etc. You don't need to convince them, you need to tell them.

I mean, can there be any more potential problems with this?? December when it's dark by 5:00, a kit lens, inexperience (I think?), needing to figure out how to pose the bride in a flattering way, a flickr page with seemingly high and unrealistic expectations...

If they can afford to rent a venue, pay for catering, flowers, etc. etc. then they can figure out with their budget what their priorities are and budget accordingly. That doesn't seem to include wedding photos but that's their problem, not yours. So why make it your problem?

I appreciate the input. I've already told them that with my equipment and experience, there may be few to no keeper shots. That being said, I have shot a couple of other family weddings, and came out with a handful of cherished shots. I know how to work my (limited) equipment. Already planning to rent a lens at least. Renting another body is something I'll look into. My D5100 would make a good backup. Much better than the P9700 I'm bringing just in case.

Other Sharon, I really do appreciate your input and I'm in no way insulted. I think I have tempered their expectations. If I don't shoot this, all they will have is cell phone snaps. I know I can get a few shots that will be better.

Good advice tirediron. The couple has already agreed to let me attend and shoot the rehearsal. I'll bring a list of questions to the official.

Thank you all kindly for responding.

Before it's too late I would consider telling them you've reconsidered, that you appreciated them thinking of you, that you don't have the equipment or expertise to do this, etc. etc. You don't need to convince them, you need to tell them.

I mean, can there be any more potential problems with this?? December when it's dark by 5:00, a kit lens, inexperience (I think?), needing to figure out how to pose the bride in a flattering way, a flickr page with seemingly high and unrealistic expectations...

If they can afford to rent a venue, pay for catering, flowers, etc. etc. then they can figure out with their budget what their priorities are and budget accordingly. That doesn't seem to include wedding photos but that's their problem, not yours. So why make it your problem?

unfortunately, the biggest issue concerning the lighting can only be mitigated so much by experience.
with moving subjects where you cant drop the shutter speed super low like with posed portraits, only fast lenses and/or well placed flash can compensate for low light shooting.
with the gear the OP has on hand, it would be challenging even for an experienced wedding photographer.
add to that the fact that the bride has already been looking at flickr pages of professional shots for ideas, and will undoubtedly be, subconsciously at the very least, expecting those same sorts of pictures of HER wedding day.

there are a lot of challenges to overcome for this wedding, the answer to which is better gear and more experience.
I agree with vintagesnaps that you are taking on a huge responsibility with a slim margin for success, especially if the bride
is going to compare it to the flickr pages she has been looking at.

There have been a lot of people come here and say that they're shooting a wedding soon - with little experience.
I don't remember any who have come back and said that it was great and shown lots of great photos.

Let them take the cell phone shots.

Ok, well if this is something that is a must do, my advice would be to put some money aside if at all possible and invest in a good used d600, or see if you can borrow or rent it or something similar. The shots they'll probably want most will be during the vows, and without flash the 5100 is going to have pretty much an almost impossible time accomplishing the task. In fact you'd probably be much better off renting a full frame body than you would a faster lens.

Other than that like folks mentioned, practice as much as you can. Try shooting at some local bars and clubs and do as much low light action stuff as humanly possible.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I completely understand. I've read several of these threads, and fully expected the same advice. I get it. I don't expect to get the results that many of you would achieve. Not even close. I do, however, expect to get a handful of shots that are better than a cell phone snap. The only thing I've promised my friends is that my results won't be as good as the ones they've collected on Flickr.

I'll not come back and say it was great and show lots of great photos. I will come back and post a few for critique.

Thanks for the tips :)

Thanks for the advice, robbins.photo. I will look into renting a full frame. Thanks!

Shoot the 50mm.

Thats probably your most used lens, right?

Use what you know. Anything that you do different that night has much more potential for error.

1.8 is faster than 2.8. So why rent a slower lens? You will need to find a spot where there is enough room for groups. And use it! I probably wouldnt bring the 18-55 either.

I've been to 2 weddings ( as guest) with the same photog last year, and her 85 1.2 doesnt come off all day or night, its on a FF though. Pretty much the same focal length as a 50 on crop. Her work is quality.

Blast them with them lights and bring extra batteries! Make them pop. Sharp photos are crucial IMO.

Having a light on camera will help a lot. Bounce it if you can but just blast them in the face if you have to!

Enjoy the challenge and disregard the naysayers.

I've got my first ceremony under my belt, I didnt even bother asking or telling here. Too much nay nay I cant handle that.

Read for hours till my eyes turned blue and practiced usefull technique. Then it happened. Its not easy btw lol.

Good luck!
OG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back