So I'm in the market...

butterflygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbymcdonald.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...to buy a few new lenses but I need some help! I really would like to get a great, super wide-angle lens - what do you recommend?

Also I'd like to get a great all-purpose lens - Right now I'm shooting most of my work with the Canon 17-85 3.5-5.6 lens that came with my 40D - it is a great lens - but I want an upgrade to a faster lens.

I mostly shoot children at the present time, but I'm working on getting into weddings - I've done four by myself, but I'm currently assisting a husband/wife wedding photog team - so I have lots of time to try out my new lens!

I also have:
Tamaron 17-50 2.8
Canon 50 1.8
Canon 70-200 2.8

What do you think? Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help!

What's your budget?

Any particular range you want?

Here are a few people seem to like a lot
Canon 24-70 f/2.8
Canon 24-105 f/4l IS
Canon 85mm 1.8

I'll 2nd the Canon 24-105 f/4l IS its part of my main kit and i never go out without it... That and the 70-200 USM IS L!! :D

You probably can't go wrong with L glass if you can afford it. If not, I can recommend the Tokina 12-24 f4 for a wide-angle, a super solid lens for a pretty good price. It requires a little CA correction in PP, but most wide lenses do.

Hi BG, What is it that you feel to be lacking with what you have?

You mentioned in another post about looking at some lighting. If you want a better lens, maybe what you need is better light to be able to use your current lenses at their best aperture.

Canon 10-22 or sigma 10-20 if you want wide.

You probably can't go wrong with L glass if you can afford it. If not, I can recommend the Tokina 12-24 f4 for a wide-angle, a super solid lens for a pretty good price. It requires a little CA correction in PP, but most wide lenses do.

I was thinking of getting some L glass - probably the Canon 24-70mm 2.8L but not for a wide angle! Hehe. I'll have to look into a wide angle L - but maybe I'll look into the Tonkina. Thanks!

Hi BG, What is it that you feel to be lacking with what you have?

You mentioned in another post about looking at some lighting. If you want a better lens, maybe what you need is better light to be able to use your current lenses at their best aperture.

I can't remember ever saying about looking at lighting - I absolutely love my AlienBees! I did say there may have been something a little off - but with that I just have to experiment and practice ;) I couldn't ask for more than my B800s!

I like some of the lenses I have, but my basic lens - the 17-85 came with my 40D and I really would like to get a better lens. It is actually pretty decent - but I know there are better ones out there! :)

Canon 10-22 or sigma 10-20 if you want wide.

I was actually thinking of the Sigma 10-20. My friend has that one and it is pretty neat! I just haven't had much of a chance to work with any wide angles. Thanks!

I'll 2nd the Canon 24-105 f/4l IS its part of my main kit and i never go out without it... That and the 70-200 USM IS L!! :D

I've been hearing that more and more :)

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful!

The 24-105 F4 L IS...is said to be a great lens but at only F4, it might be a bit limiting for wedding work (although, if you can get away with shooting at a higher ISO, it might not be so bad).

The EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS is the 'crop body' wedding photographer's best friend, but it's expensive. You already have the Tamron 17-50 F2.8...so you may not want to invest that much right now.

You do seem to be missing a really wide angle, so the Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 10-20mm might be a good idea.

Also, the only prime lens you have is the 50mm F1.8...which, while a good value, is still at the bottom of the barrel. You might want to consider a better quality prime lens.

Or maybe you could find something besides a lens...how are you set up for flash units? What about back up equipment?

The 24-105 F4 L IS...is said to be a great lens but at only F4, it might be a bit limiting for wedding work (although, if you can get away with shooting at a higher ISO, it might not be so bad).

The EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS is the 'crop body' wedding photographer's best friend, but it's expensive. You already have the Tamron 17-50 F2.8...so you may not want to invest that much right now.

You do seem to be missing a really wide angle, so the Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 10-20mm might be a good idea.

Also, the only prime lens you have is the 50mm F1.8...which, while a good value, is still at the bottom of the barrel. You might want to consider a better quality prime lens.

Or maybe you could find something besides a lens...how are you set up for flash units? What about back up equipment?

Good points Mike! It's so hard to decide when there's so much I want.

I do have a backup - I shoot a 40d and 30d - and I have two flash units - the 580EX and the 430ex speedlites. I was thinking of getting another 580ex - but I'm not sure that I need it just for backup purposes - but it is a thought.

What would you recommend I get as a prime lens Mike? I trust your judgment :)

Also Mike, which lens do you use the most in your wedding and/or portrait work? I just want to get a feel of what would be the most versatile. Thanks! :)

I see you are "Butterfly Girl", now about a nice macro to take better shots of your butterflies?

What would you recommend I get as a prime lens Mike? I trust your judgment
It really depends on what focal length you are comfortable with. How about a 24mm, 28mm or 35mm? The Canon 24mm F1.4 L and the 35mm F1.4 L are said to be outstanding lenses...but the price is fairly high. I have the Sigma 30mm F1.4 and I use it for weddings. It's much less expensive than the two Canons. Optically it's very sharp...but I'm starting to have concerns about the focus accuracy...I may have to send it in for adjustment.

If you really like 50mm...the 50mm F1.4 isn't that much and it's a fair bit better than the F1.8.

You might also consider the 85mm F1.8.

Or how about a prime macro? You could get the 100mm macro (or the EF-S 60mm macro) which might be useful for detail shots at a wedding.

As for what I use. For weddings, I use the 17-50 F2.8 as my work horse. I will often rent or borrow a 70-200 F2.8 L IS for my 2nd camera (I need to buy this one). I may swap in the Sigma 30mm or my Canon 10-22mm when inspiration strikes.

Something else you might consider...would be an off camera flash system....Strobist style. You would need a trigger system (Pocket Wizards or Skyports etc), maybe a light stand with an umbrella swivel, an umbrella (only if you want)...and maybe some other accesories...but that's the basics.

It really depends on what focal length you are comfortable with. How about a 24mm, 28mm or 35mm? The Canon 24mm F1.4 L and the 35mm F1.4 L are said to be outstanding lenses...but the price is fairly high. I have the Sigma 30mm F1.4 and I use it for weddings. It's much less expensive than the two Canons. Optically it's very sharp...but I'm starting to have concerns about the focus accuracy...I may have to send it in for adjustment.

If you really like 50mm...the 50mm F1.4 isn't that much and it's a fair bit better than the F1.8.

You might also consider the 85mm F1.8.

Or how about a prime macro? You could get the 100mm macro (or the EF-S 60mm macro) which might be useful for detail shots at a wedding.

As for what I use. For weddings, I use the 17-50 F2.8 as my work horse. I will often rent or borrow a 70-200 F2.8 L IS for my 2nd camera (I need to buy this one). I may swap in the Sigma 30mm or my Canon 10-22mm when inspiration strikes.

Something else you might consider...would be an off camera flash system....Strobist style. You would need a trigger system (Pocket Wizards or Skyports etc), maybe a light stand with an umbrella swivel, an umbrella (only if you want)...and maybe some other accesories...but that's the basics.

Ahhh the indecision! I have no idea! :) I guess it's back to the drawing board - I'll have to do some more research!

Thanks Mike for all of your suggestions! I appreciate it!

But tell me this - if there were two lens you could get over all the others - what would they be? Anyone feel free to jump in on this one :)

But tell me this - if there were two lens you could get over all the others - what would they be? Anyone feel free to jump in on this one
The ultimate wedding kit (crop body) is the 17-55mm F2.8 IS and the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS. For a non-crop body, swap the 17-55mm for the 24-70 F2.8 L.

Most reactions

Back