So I'm in the market...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by butterflygirl, Jan 28, 2008.

1. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ...to buy a few new lenses but I need some help! I really would like to get a great, super wide-angle lens - what do you recommend?

Also I'd like to get a great all-purpose lens - Right now I'm shooting most of my work with the Canon 17-85 3.5-5.6 lens that came with my 40D - it is a great lens - but I want an upgrade to a faster lens.

I mostly shoot children at the present time, but I'm working on getting into weddings - I've done four by myself, but I'm currently assisting a husband/wife wedding photog team - so I have lots of time to try out my new lens!

I also have:
    Tamaron 17-50 2.8
    Canon 50 1.8
    Canon 70-200 2.8

What do you think? Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help!

2. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    What's your budget?

Any particular range you want?

Here are a few people seem to like a lot
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8
    Canon 24-105 f/4l IS
    Canon 85mm 1.8

3. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks!

I'm thinking of spending about $500-$800. Hopefully on the lower end of that :)

4. samnooshka

samnooshka TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll 2nd the Canon 24-105 f/4l IS its part of my main kit and i never go out without it... That and the 70-200 USM IS L!! :D

5. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You probably can't go wrong with L glass if you can afford it. If not, I can recommend the Tokina 12-24 f4 for a wide-angle, a super solid lens for a pretty good price. It requires a little CA correction in PP, but most wide lenses do.

6. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi BG, What is it that you feel to be lacking with what you have?

You mentioned in another post about looking at some lighting. If you want a better lens, maybe what you need is better light to be able to use your current lenses at their best aperture.

7. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon 10-22 or sigma 10-20 if you want wide.

8. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was thinking of getting some L glass - probably the Canon 24-70mm 2.8L but not for a wide angle! Hehe. I'll have to look into a wide angle L - but maybe I'll look into the Tonkina. Thanks!

I can't remember ever saying about looking at lighting - I absolutely love my AlienBees! I did say there may have been something a little off - but with that I just have to experiment and practice ;) I couldn't ask for more than my B800s!

I like some of the lenses I have, but my basic lens - the 17-85 came with my 40D and I really would like to get a better lens. It is actually pretty decent - but I know there are better ones out there! :)

I was actually thinking of the Sigma 10-20. My friend has that one and it is pretty neat! I just haven't had much of a chance to work with any wide angles. Thanks!

I've been hearing that more and more :)

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful!

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 24-105 F4 L IS...is said to be a great lens but at only F4, it might be a bit limiting for wedding work (although, if you can get away with shooting at a higher ISO, it might not be so bad).

The EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS is the 'crop body' wedding photographer's best friend, but it's expensive. You already have the Tamron 17-50 F2.8...so you may not want to invest that much right now.

You do seem to be missing a really wide angle, so the Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 10-20mm might be a good idea.

Also, the only prime lens you have is the 50mm F1.8...which, while a good value, is still at the bottom of the barrel. You might want to consider a better quality prime lens.

Or maybe you could find something besides a lens...how are you set up for flash units? What about back up equipment?

10. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good points Mike! It's so hard to decide when there's so much I want.

I do have a backup - I shoot a 40d and 30d - and I have two flash units - the 580EX and the 430ex speedlites. I was thinking of getting another 580ex - but I'm not sure that I need it just for backup purposes - but it is a thought.

What would you recommend I get as a prime lens Mike? I trust your judgment :)

Also Mike, which lens do you use the most in your wedding and/or portrait work? I just want to get a feel of what would be the most versatile. Thanks! :)

11. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I see you are "Butterfly Girl", now about a nice macro to take better shots of your butterflies?

12. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha! Too true! I would like to get macro lens eventually - but there is just SO much I want! :)