So, I'm switching it up already... sold my camera

Though ... having a high Megapixel sensor does give you a lot of room to crop.

Sony Alpha A900 = 24.6MP
Canon EOS 5D Mark II = 21.1MP
Nikon D3x = 24.5MP

Not to be a dick, but a new camera isn't what is needed here. Know how on how to crop and sample up an image is. The 5D is 12MP and the 50D 15. This is a MARGINAL increase in pixels from the 10MP of the 40D to 12 or 15 megapixels.

I really am just stunned here that you would go out and purchase something like that without actually realizing what it is you are and are not getting.

Well said:thumbup:

If he's going for the Mark II, even worse, although yes he would see appreciable increases in megapixel count. Still, a 10MP camera should allow sufficient upscaling to produce VERY useable and sharp 13x19 prints. Certainly there is a limit to what you can crop, but man a 40% crop shouldn't be breaking the bank this bad.

Why are you cropping shots so often ?
Is it possible that the lenses you have are limiting your ability to frame your shots the way you want them ?
If you are cropping images so frequently ... then I would say that you need a longer focal length lens than what you had on your sold system.

You do not want to crop ... as you loose image quality. You do not want a 15Mpixel image cropped down to 8Mpixels ... then enlarged to 8x10.

You should crop in camera by using a different focal length on the lens ... if you are not sure ... shot many different views.

I agree totally. Should allways try to take pictures that need zero cropping. Some will be needed but 40% is extreme. I've only done that once that I recall and the primary reason I had to ( and was able to ) was that I was using my TLR and shot it with one shot in mind then spotted a second shot in the same frame. Because it's a MF 6x6 shot I could crop it with ease ( and probably still print greater than 10x8).

This is my crop in question.. but it's something I hate doing. But I'd never do that on a digital - they dont' have the megapixels ( based on 35mm being at best 24mpixels I had about 80megapixels effective to play with).

3212323259_40cdfdf299_m.jpg

3212955467_123fd1968c_m.jpg

OK I think we got the point across now ;)

I think now we need to move one - poor tharmsen is without a camera!!

I think the best thing is for some info from tharmsen:

1) What budget do you have now?

2) what subjects are you shooting - and what are some examples of shots which are needing the 40% cropping - might be we can stear you towards a better lens for such shots

Since you have a flash for canon already it would make sense to go canon - though the nikon rout is still open.

If you stay Canon, go for the 5D, FX is the definite winner.

But if you go Nikon, go ahead and drop the money for the D300. Not only is the resolution fantastic, you can't beat a weather sealed magnesium body.

Not to be a dick, but a new camera isn't what is needed here. Know how on how to crop and sample up an image is. The 5D is 12MP and the 50D 15. This is a MARGINAL increase in pixels from the 10MP of the 40D to 12 or 15 megapixels.

I really am just stunned here that you would go out and purchase something like that without actually realizing what it is you are and are not getting.
No please, be a dick. We all need to flex our internet muscle at every given opportunity.

Perhaps you don't think 50% increase in megapixels is much, but in just about any math course you can take from high school arithmetic to college algebra, they'll pretty much tell you 50% is significant... not to be a dick or anything.

Truth be told my wife talked me out of the 50D camera and into the 40D camera because of Christmas time expenses. Based on my research I wanted the 50D to begin with, but negotiated to the 40D to keep the peace in the household. Now that I've had a chance to play with the 40D, I really want the 50D or better and I sold it to her as well.

The $300 or so I've lost in the lesson isn't really an issue to me. What is important is that I get what I deem necessary to what it is I want to do.

Yes, I'm a noob to photography. I'm sure you were never new to photography, or anything else, and you've probably never made a purchasing mistake.

Oh, and I'm sorry to have stunned you. It must have been horrible. Please accept my apologies. :hug::

Perhaps you don't think 50% increase in megapixels is much, but in just about any math course you can take from high school arithmetic to college algebra, they'll pretty much tell you 50% is significant... not to be a dick or anything.

Now I'll preface this by saying that not being familiar with these cameras in question it might not be the case here ( probably isn't ) BUT the assumption is wrong.

Take a compact 10megapixal camera, the images that produces, especially at high higher ISO's will not be as sharp/noiseless as my 6 megapixel DSLR with quality glass. Thus my images will be more useable even though the actual physical size is the same. This is because a compact camera will have a sensor which has far more megapixels per squaremm than mine, This creates noise.

In your case your better off IMO either going for the best glass for the job OR even considering film as the effective megapixels from film allows better cropping, BUT if your finding yourself cropping it really does mean you have an aspect of your photography you need to improve.

Truth be told my wife talked me out of the 50D camera and into the 40D camera because of Christmas time expenses.
Sounds like a reasonable compromise to keep the peace and to keep getting a piece. These are necessary things to do to have a healthy relationship.

... and I sold it [the 40D] to her as well.
Curious relationship, but.......

Now that I've had a chance to play with the 40D, I really want the 50D or better ....
..... seems like it's a no-brainer then. If she has a Canon now, why would you go with Nikon? Share the same lenses and accesories.

I just got back fro Best Buy where I could play with both the 50D and the D90. I will be sticking with Canon. I like the controls better on the 50D (perhaps I'm just used to them), I like the heft of the Canon and I like the images it produces. I think the 5D would cause a riff in my marriage that might take months to repair... so I'll go with what I originally wanted. :)

seems like your beginning the journey of never being happy with your shots aka the "its the equpiment" road. ive seen some stunning pics w/ a heavy crop still look amazing. I would have gone with better glass and learning to fill your frames more instead of the added expense of a new camera. i mean there are people still turning out crazy good pics w/ a canon xt

ANDS said:
If he's going for the Mark II, even worse, although yes he would see appreciable increases in megapixel count.

Reading comprehension. So long as we're tossing out petty insults.

I'm sure you were never new to photography, or anything else, and you've probably never made a purchasing mistake.

I'm sorry that I didn't fall over and overwhelmingly endorse you throwing cash at a problem. By all means though, assume everyone who cautions against your line of thinking (which is a bit faulty) is personally attacking you or denigrating you and get butthurt about it. It is your money, but when you post what you are doing with YOUR money in a public forum, expect some folks to say "Hey what a minute." Already folks have come forward and said "the problem isn't megapixels" - its your choice whether or not you validate the opinions of those who don't validate your purchase. ROck on brotha!

In the end, yes I would say if you are upsampling 40% crops of an original image and it is coming out "pixelated", then you are doing something wrong; whether that is not compossing properly in the first place and instead of working on that tossing megapixels at it, or you just dont have that good a familiarity with Photoshop or whatever editing program.

Why are you cropping so heavily? Because you can't get close enough to what you want to photograph or because you want to change the composition after the fact?

Damn.... forgot to hit on the "huge" increase in megapixels. A 3MP increase is insignificant.

Sorry if I get the models mixed up, but I believe you are only talking of a 20% increase rather than a 50% increase. Regardless.... as others have stated, you should be able to get a very good print from a camera with half the resolution you had at hand. GLASS.....GLASS.....GLASS.....

BTW... if you work on composition, the need to crop heavily will be reduced, yeilding less degradation in your reults.

Most reactions

Back