So, I'm switching it up already... sold my camera

Most of those comments have been made tongue in cheek. My wife totally supports my hobbies, to a point. I don't cross that point. Trust me, photography isn't my most expensive hobby. But I do have to be somewhat sensitive to her requests. She thought the 40D was fine, I capitulated and now I've decided it was the wrong decision for me. Probably not the wisest decision I've made, but fortunately the cost is relatively insignificant. If only other mistakes in life only cost me a couple hundred bucks. :)

What the hell is more expensive than Photography? Do you SCUBA dive or something?

Dude, don't get such a hard on with ANDS!. The guy knows some $hit. Apply the brake and digest the intent. Too many of us will eagerly spend your money, but only a handful will make you re-consider and possibly save you a few bucks to get similar or improved results.
I have no doubt he knows his stuff. That's not what's at issue here. His talking down to people is intolerable, at least from my perspective.

I don't expect him to apologize for being rude, I don't think he has it in him given what I've seen of his posts elsewhere.

If the cost of his amazing advice is being talked to like I'm ignorant, I'll pass on the advice. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who don't treat others like idiots.

What the hell is more expensive than Photography? Do you SCUBA dive or something?
As a matter of fact, I do. :) I also have several sets of full face masks, comm gear, surface units, etc. That's my summer time hobby... well, it was... the little man (new born son) has put a damper on dive trips for the foreseeable future. :D But I'm good with that, he's worth it.

As a matter of fact, I do. :) I also have several sets of full face masks, comm gear, surface units, etc. That's my summer time hobby... well, it was... the little man (new born son) has put a damper on dive trips for the foreseeable future. :D But I'm good with that, he's worth it.
:lmao: There were only a hand full of hobbies that I could think of that are more expensive. Now all ya need to do is get a waterproof case and you can combine them both..... I hope your wife isnt a member on the forum cause if she is I am gonna go hide now.

I for one have a hobby/activity more expensive than photography: Japanese Sword Arts. Before I had a family I had a custom order katana forged to my specifications (and this was on US soil, not even a japanese blade), and it cost me 7,000.00 when all was said and done, finished product to my door.

I have no doubt he knows his stuff. ........ There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who don't treat others like idiots.
Check you own ego. Have you seriously reviewed ANDS! replies? He is much more tolerable than I. I consider his contributions to Beginners as a positive influence. I don't know him, never met him and could care less if he enjoys sushi. That's all beside the point, isn't it?

If to-the-point responses to ignorant points of view makes the OP feel like an idiot, then that person should consider to take deep breaths, get grounded and repeat a positive mantra.

Yeah, I'm going to get a body only and picking up a 24-105mm f/4 IS USM lens vs. the kit lens (28-135mm). I'll probably pick up something like a 70-200mm f/4 IS USM lens as well.

If you were cropping THAT much with the standard kit lens (I assume), then the 200mm focal length is probably still too short. An old 10D (6 mp) body with a 400mm optically excellent lens will outperform a 50D with 100mm lens cropped down in PS.

I agree.... u should back off on ANDS! and listen. There are harsher people on this board (for the most part) have good intentions.

or

Canon 17-40L
Canon 24-105L
Canon 100-400L
Canon 50mm f/1.4

For the same $3600

or

My favorite set:
24mm f/1.4L
50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.8
135mm f/2L
300mm f/4L

Perhaps you don't think 50% increase in megapixels is much, but in just about any math course you can take from high school arithmetic to college algebra, they'll pretty much tell you 50% is significant... not to be a dick or anything.

Math is a lousy way to judge photography, and you have pointed out exactly why it's better to ask photographers about cameras rather than mathematicians. 50% more pixels isn't much more. 15mp is like adding a few thin rows of pixels around a 10 mp sensor.

But anyway, this post is about upgrade fever, not photographs. Buy, buy, buy!!! It's the only way you'll ever get over the fever so you can get on with photography. If you can't get great 16"x24" prints from a 10mp APS DSLR then your skill set has room for improvement.

I think you are going to be very disapointed when you see the difference between the 40D and 50D
In terms of cropping, perhaps. It's funny, everything I've read on the forums indicates MP plays a big role in larger prints. I can search it here even and find lots of references. But all of a sudden in this thread it's irrelevant and we'd all be better off with 4MP cameras again. Kinda funny how that works.

As for the feature set, I will be much happier with the 50D. DOF preview, the vastly improved LCD screen (enough of a reason for me to buy the 50D alone), the extra ISO stop, the 15MP images, even the AF in Live View (I'll play with it) - all will keep me quite happy with the purchase... it's the camera I originally went for and was talked out of. I won't let that happen again. :)

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
Canon 10-22 f/variable whatever.

About $3600.
Hummm....

I may go the 24-70 f2.8L route for my first lens then pick up the 70-200 f/2.8 next. I can wait a little while on the 10-22.

In terms of cropping, perhaps. It's funny, everything I've read on the forums indicates MP plays a big role in larger prints. I can search it here even and find lots of references. But all of a sudden in this thread it's irrelevant and we'd all be better off with 4MP cameras again. Kinda funny how that works.

Its about priorities - more MP definatly does help allow for bigger prints, no one can deny that fact. However what is being said is that when you up from 10MP to 15MP (for example) the increase in quality and abilty to print at larger sizes is less than if you were to invest in L glass for the focal range that you need.
Glass has a much bigger effect on the quality of image that an SLR can produce than the SLR itself - since the camera body is just a recording device which records the light - the light itself is controled and directly affected by the lens on the camera - thus high quality lenses even on beginner level cameras can give fantastic results - whilst a kit lens for a 400D is always going to give a similar level of quality be it on a 400D or a 1D.

This is not to say that bodies are not important since better ISO noise control and other features are important considerations that let you get more out of a lens - but that most people put improving glass before improving body

Most reactions

Back