So I've decided

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by meganc, Jul 3, 2007.

1. meganc

meganc TPF Noob!

I've decided I'm going to get the Nikon D80. I found a deal for the body and a 18-55 lens (which people have told me isn't all that good) for like $560. So since I'm sort of on a low budget right now, I'm going to get that and then save for a better lens. What kind of lens do you think I should get that isn't too too expensive?

2. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Congrats on your decision!

The 18-55mm lens will be fine for just starting out. I've been using one either on my camera or on my parents for around two years. Since I've gotten more serious into the hobby have I begun to notice the limitations.

I would recommend a fast prime such as a 50mm f/1.8. It was the first lens I bought and I love using it. Good luck!

3. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the 50mm. You'll have a great lens for very little money (considering camera equipment prices, of course).

By the way, seems to me you've got a really good deal, the D80 plus lens for that price! Congratulations!

4. AUZambo

AUZambo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's a steal as far as the price. Are you sure the camera still has the sensor in it?

5. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That is WAY too cheap for a Nikon D80 body (without the lens), unless it is used... and even then it is cheaper than I have seen it.

Let me put it another way... if it is a new camera, I could buy it at that price all day long, turn around and sell it again on eBay for $300 more ALL DAY LONG...

That price is cheap enough, if it is not used, for me to say it a bogus deal, somebody looking to rip you off.

6. meganc

meganc TPF Noob!

It was at sam's club, and the people who worked there told me it was a D80 but I went there earlier today (before I posted that) and it's the D40. So now I'm going to have to find it somewhere else and it will take longer to get it cause I have to save more money. But I think I might still get the D80. I thought it was too cheap to be a D80 anyways.

7. Sweetsomedays

Sweetsomedays TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got my D80 with the 18-55 kit lens and it's just fine for me right now (total beginner). I also got the 50-200 lens with VR and it was only about $250 and it's working out great :) I am creating a wish list of lenses for the future but I reckon I should get better before I deserve those ;)

8. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sorry to read that... or not? I mean, that was really cheap for a D80, which might have meant there was something wrong somewhere.

Well, keep trying. You probably won't find that bargain but still can find some reasonable price -by the way, if your budget is more or less limited to tha amount you mentioned, would you consider move to a D70? I think that might be a good answer.

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 18-70mm is an excellent performer for the money. See if you can get it in a kit form. It used to be a standard kit lens.

10. NikonD40x@Denver

NikonD40x@Denver TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is really something that my wife and I would like to get into, I took a look at some classes to sign my wife and I up for her B-Day/ which this camera would be her Gift also, So with that said ......... how about this

Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera with Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. http://www.wisetronics.com/ProductDe...de=nkd80k18135

Does this look like a good deal?

11. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit