So long, Nikon

In my experience using the Fuji system the images out of the XT2 and XPro 2, are incredibly sharp.

We had an XT2 with the 56mm 1.2 up against the D810 and the 85mm 1.4

Fuji was quite a bit sharper [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

They are sharper because of the lack of an anti aliasing filter as I mentioned above. Nikon makes excellent lenses but they all have to deal with that filtered sensor.

I haven't made any direct comparisons since my Nikons are all now gone. But I think the Fujis definitely outperform my DX Nikons. Perhaps the FX Nikons would keep up with the Fujis. I don't know.

They are sharper because of the lack of an anti aliasing filter as I mentioned above. Nikon makes excellent lenses but they all have to deal with that filtered sensor.

I haven't made any direct comparisons since my Nikons are all now gone. But I think the Fujis definitely outperform my DX Nikons. Perhaps the FX Nikons would keep up with the Fujis. I don't know.

The D810 has no AA filter lol it's sharper because the lenses are really good and the sensor is awesome for a crop.

I dabbled with Canon once. Didn't take long to sell it and keep going with my Nikon gear (had my Nikon gear still, while trying the Canon). At the time Canon did have a sensor advantage. But eventually came back strong or in my belief stronger.

Now I have been trying to find ways to lighten the load somewhat. I travel for normal job and now only cary a D3400 and the 2 kit lenses and a SB-700. Nikons fast glass is great. Except when you have to carry that weight around for no photo use. Always a camera in my work bag. I needed to lighten the load. For a while I tried the bridge camera route with a coolpix 8700. And quickly ran into their limitations. Even added accessories like grip and adapter lenses. To lessen the limitations. But then why not just carry a dslr? So, I started carrying the cheaper and less expensive starter cameras. D40x, then D3100, now D3400. I am intrigued by the mirrorless cameras. Much smaller and lighter.

I have done some looking into the Nikon 1 J5. You do have the option with the adapter to use the smaller Nikon F lenses on it. Which interests me. But just not sure abut the camera controls on it. Would save lots of weight and some space with it and it's purpose built lenses. 189-810mm equivillent with their 70-300 zoom would make excellent light travel long reach lens. Hard to break old habbits though. Been using 35mm bodies for almost 40 years now.

Actually you can use your Nikkor lenses on virtually any mirrorless camera by using an adapter. I chose not to do that because I wanted less size and weight and using Nikkors wouldn't accomplish that goal. My telephoto zoom lens fits in my pants pocket. That wouldn't happen with a Nikkor DSLR telephoto zoom.

The D810 has no AA filter lol it's sharper because the lenses are really good and the sensor is awesome for a crop.

I spent one day with an 810. Wonderful camera. Just too big and heavy for this old body.

The XE1 has the old 16mp sensor, the 24mp. The XA3 uses a standard bayer sensor while the XE1 has the 'special' Fuji CFA.

Yes, that's right. My understanding is that the X-Trans sensor allows for the elimination of the anti-aliasing filter and that makes images noticeable sharper. My Fujinon 60mm macro arrived today so I tested it in the back yard with the X-E1. It seems to work just fine.
View attachment 140574 View attachment 140575
That 60 is my most used lens, it's fantastic. Great for portraits too. It has a long focus throw in manual mode but I just flip the switch to s , half shutter, switch back to m, and fine tune. Only do that occasionally on the street. I think that 60 and the 16 are my most magic of fujifilm lens. 16 just makes me say wow almost every time I get that image on a large screen but it is on the heavy side.

The XE1 has the old 16mp sensor, the 24mp. The XA3 uses a standard bayer sensor while the XE1 has the 'special' Fuji CFA.

Yes, that's right. My understanding is that the X-Trans sensor allows for the elimination of the anti-aliasing filter and that makes images noticeable sharper. My Fujinon 60mm macro arrived today so I tested it in the back yard with the X-E1. It seems to work just fine.
That 60 is my most used lens, it's fantastic. Great for portraits too. It has a long focus throw in manual mode but I just flip the switch to s , half shutter, switch back to m, and fine tune. Only do that occasionally on the street. I think that 60 and the 16 are my most magic of fujifilm lens. 16 just makes me say wow almost every time I get that image on a large screen but it is on the heavy side.

I was impressed with the shot posted taken with that lens. Nice shot. I ordered a very inexpensive Chinese wide angle the other day. It is a 12mm f2.8 from Meike, just $229 and it is quite light. Probably not world class but we will see what it can do when it arrives. I use the Fujinon 60 every day for my web shots. It is as good as any macro lens I've ever used.

I was impressed with the shot posted taken with that lens. Nice shot. I ordered a very inexpensive Chinese wide angle the other day. It is a 12mm f2.8 from Meike, just $229 and it is quite light. Probably not world class but we will see what it can do when it arrives. I use the Fujinon 60 every day for my web shots. It is as good as any macro lens I've ever used.
Let me know on that 12, curious.

Most reactions

Back