So much to choose from! Help!

callumpenny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am new to this site and would like some advice /info on what dslr camera and lens would best suit my needs.
(I studied broadcasting when i was younger but the photography strand is the one i didnt pay attenetion too, more fool me!)

Anywho. The reason for needing a decent camera is that i co-run a record label and I have a Canon Vixia HF100 which i use to record interviews with artisits ect. After reading up countless reviews on how good the quality is on certian dslrs and that most video is taken this way for amateur film makers, it seems a good option.
I will also be using the camera for nightclub filming so this needs to be considred. I am aware that there are led light attachements and mic's to stop the sound of the auto focus being picked up when recording interviews ect.

So i would like help with the following...

1. Which camera and lens is best suited for my needs that will fit my budget (stated below).

2. Which lens is best for image stabilisation as i believe this is a problem with most dslr's when filming???

and 3. What light attachements do people recommend for nightclub video recording.

I have budgeted £600 for the camera and lens and a further £200 for attachements (light and mic). I dont mind buying used i just want to know the best options for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi callumpenny - welcome to the world of DSLR video! nycphotogpraphy is right - the mirrorless Panasonic GH cameras are probably your best option for video. Like a camcorder, their lenses autofocus silently and their viewfinders continue working in video mode. This is not true for DSLRs.

In the UK, the Panasonic GH cameras (and all DSL type cameras) are limited to a maximum of 30 minutes of continuous video. Still, in your price range, this is longer than the 12 minute limit for Canon DSLRs and the 20 minute limit for Nikons.

I own the 2009 GH1 and it has a range of absolutely silent autofocus lenses - so you wouldn't have to worry about autofocus motor noise - but, sadly, it is a poor low light performer and not really suited for low light nightclub video.

Its 2010 replacement, the GH2, is much better in low light - and would be better suited for your needs.

With an £800 budget, I would get:

- a new Panasonic GH2 with the 14-42 kit lens from eBay UK (£565 for least expensive listing as of today).

- for low light, a used Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens from Amazon Warehouse Deals for £99.27

- for sound, a new Rode VideoMic Pro for £130 from Amazon UK

- for light, a dimmable 160 LED light for £33 from Amazon UK

- a dual bracket to mount your mic and LED for £13 from Amazon UK

- an adapter to plug the Rode into your camera £2 plus postage from Adorama in the US through eBay UK

Here is what this camera can do in a club setting:

[video=vimeo;29403175]http://vimeo.com/29403175[/video]

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Brunerww, thank you so much for such a detailed response! I really appriecate it. I have done some research on the items you have recommended and i think i will be going for exactly this. I will post my first video in here using this setup.
The only issue i have come up against is the fact that the mts. files do not work in imovie, which is what i'll be using. Do you recommend a good convertor? Also which format would be best for imovie to keep the HD quality. The internet has told me this would be sufficent Top MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac- Transcode/Convert/Merge AVCHD(.mts, .m2ts) file. I currently have wondershare.
Thanks again

Brunerww, thank you so much for such a detailed response! I really appriecate it. I have done some research on the items you have recommended and i think i will be going for exactly this. I will post my first video in here using this setup.
The only issue i have come up against is the fact that the mts. files do not work in imovie, which is what i'll be using. Do you recommend a good convertor? Also which format would be best for imovie to keep the HD quality. The internet has told me this would be sufficent Top MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac- Transcode/Convert/Merge AVCHD(.mts, .m2ts) file. I currently have wondershare.
Thanks again

Hi callumpenny - congratulations on your new setup! I really look forward to seeing your first video.

Yes - the AVCHD to iMovieFinal Cut issue is a problem. I suggest you try converting using the Apple Intermediate Codec included with iMovie before you spend money on a transcoder.

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it from Panasonic for iMovie '09 - a few years old, and intended for their pro camcorders, but should still work with GH2 AVCHD files and 'iMovie '11: "Editing AVCHD with iMovie '09"

The challenge with the Apple Intermediate Codec is that it will create huge files (about 10 times larger than the original .mts file). If that doesn't work for you, I would recommend paying $50 for Clipwrap instead of the $29 Brosoft/Aunsoft converters.

Clipwrap is carried in the iTunes store, while the generic converters are not.

Free Clipwrap trial here.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited:
Thats great, again thanks for your help. That shouldnt be too much of an issue then, as long as i am able to use the files in imovie and they dont loose quality im happy.

One last question (i promise!) what hand help mic do you suggest for when i am doing interviews with aritists? Some interviews will be in a loud club enviorment. Or is there an attachement where i can use the rode mic?

Many thanks

Hi cp - this is a slightly more difficult question. The Videomic is really made to stay on the camera. A camera mounted pro microphone that can double as a handheld may cost a little more money. Here is a picture of what I did for a little more than the cost of a Videomic:

$P1010660.JPG

This is a used Audio Technica AT835 (from eBay US) on a Campro deluxe shock mount with a MM-21 wind muff, a Hosa line matching transformer and a Hosa 3.5mm to 2.5mm right angle adapter (all from Amazon US).

With this setup, I have the 600 ohm XLR output of a professional quality microphone adapted to the input impedance of a prosumer GH camera.

I looked for some UK links to duplicate this setup, and here is what I found:

Used Audio Technica AT897 professional, battery powered mic: £180 at Amazon UK

Campro SM3 shock mount: £29.95 at Amazon UK

Shure A96F XLR to 3.5mm line matching transformer: £57 at Amazon UK or

Hosa MIT-156 XLR to 3.5mm line matching transformer: starting at £15 on eBay UK and

Hosa GMP-467 3.5mm to 2.5mm right angle adapter: £2 plus postage from Adorama in the US through eBay UK

You will need some extra cable if you want to run the mic handheld, but long cable runs are not a problem with professional, balanced XLR cable (this is not true for the Rode's consumer 3.5mm cable, which can introduce RF interference).

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello again!

Hope you're well?

I finally got round to getting the camera. It arrived today with the 14-42 kit lens (im buying the light and mic etc next week). Now the next hurdle i face! Recording to my SD card.

I've got a 32g SD hc card but when i go to record it says ''cannot record due to incompatible format''. Am i going to have to hack it in order to record? What does hacking actually do/mean? This is all very new and confusing to me. All help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again

"I've got a 32g SD hc card but when i go to record it says ''cannot record due to incompatible format''"

Did you use the format card function on the camera? You have to format it to a layout that the camera uses.

After transferring files to the computer then re-inserting the card back into the camera.
Then you should always format the card in-camera.
For a freshly formatted empty card ready to use.

If it won't format or troublesome can be due to a cheapie or faulty card.
Eject and re-seat it a couple of times or inspect the card contacts for any damage

Last edited:
Oh right ok. How do I format the card to a layout? I've set up my settings etc what now? Sorry to ask so many simple questions but this really is all new to me!
Thanks

Sounds like you should download and read through the manual for your new camera. it will cover all the menus, settings, controls, and operations.

It sucks to read... but you really should in this case.

Oh right ok. How do I format the card to a layout? I've set up my settings etc what now? Sorry to ask so many simple questions but this really is all new to me!
Thanks

To format the card:

1. Ensure the PASM dial is on a setting other than "IA"

2. Go to the menu, and select "Setup" (the wrench icon)

3. Toggle rightward and then scroll down to "Format" and select it.

See pages 55-62 in the manual.

If you don't want to fiddle with the paper manual, you can find it online here: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCGH2.PDF

Most reactions

New Topics

Back