So...Native American headdresses...

can't really say anything here because I can't even pretend to understand something I didn't have a contact with but I just wanted to say that I really like this thread

I simply don't see any racial connotations in a non-Native American wearing a traditional head-dress any more than I would if someone was wearing an Indian sari or a geisha's kimono or a nun's habit.

They are simply beautiful objects and shouldn't be seen as anything more than that in the context of a photoshoot. The head-dress is only an important spiritual artefact when worn by a Native American in the context that grants it that importance.

Outside of the festival, ceremony, cultural context, it is just thread, fabric and feathers. If I made one myself, it would carry none of the meaning that an original does.

The thing about the headdress is that it a huge symbol of honor respect and pride for native Americans. For a white person to wear one in jest or as fashion is highly insulting. It would be like me dressing as the pope as a joke to mock Catholics.

Add into the history of how the white settlers treated and continue to treat native Americans and you can start to understand why there are people upset by this.
Exactly this.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back