SO new! Some questions...

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all! I am brand new to this forum, and would love some advice/tips.

I have decided to make photography my career. I am going to school for photography and am shopping around for a good digital SLR. I want to become a professional, freelance photographer. Does any one here do that full time? Do you make a decent living doing it?

Any tips for a beginner? Camera type, model, yada yada yada... I would love to hear ANYthing you have to say! At this point in my path, I am trying to gather as much information as possible. :blushing: Thanks so much!!

Welcome to the forum.

Probably the best thing you can do for your career in photography would be to aprentice with professional photographers. Many people will tell you that this is more important than going to school for photography.

Do you have any more specific ideas than just 'freelance'?

As for camera models...all the main brands are pretty good. Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony (formerly Minolta) etc. I'd suggest Canon or Nikon as that is what most pros are using and it would be handy to be compatible...but really, they are just tools and knowing how to use them is much, much more important that the brand.

What's your budget?

Yea, my boyfriend has been telling me that I need to get out there and intern with some professionals...

I want to do portrait work, on location family, children and newborn shots, weddings, bands and musical artists, maybe headshots...Im also interested in printing artwork to sell. Basically, my interest is wide.

Right now, my budget is low. Since it's my first SLR, I don't want to go overboard with the price. I want to save the big buy until I really know what Im doing and what I want. Im thinking the $700 range? Maybe even get a used camera?

Thanks so much for your reply!

I want to do portrait work, on location family, children and newborn shots, weddings, bands and musical artists, maybe headshots...Im also interested in printing artwork to sell. Basically, my interest is wide.
I would recommend taking business courses...which will be just as important as photography courses. For the most part, those types of clients won't care if you have a photography degree or not...they just want to see great photos.

I'm not saying that you should skip out on the education...but think about what your strengths and weaknesses are and what type of education will most help you to achieve those goals.

Also, think about some courses in post processing (photoshop etc). This is a very important skill for a digital photographers.

Ah you rock. I heard from another photographer that I should take business courses, too.

Big Mike is right. I graduated from college in 2004, and if there was one thing I wish I had gotten out of my college career, it would have been more business knowledge. That being said, taking computer classes in photoshop and other types of art programs will come in REALLY helpful too. And, I'd start trying to work with a professional as soon as you can. Once you are out and not a student anymore it seems a little harder to get those types of positions (I think they start to view you as the competition more at that point).
-April
P.S. Maybe a Digital Rebel would be a good camera to start with? I hear it's a good camera but not too pricey. I have the 20D and I love it. It's probably more expensive than you want right now though.

Yea I have been considering the Rebel. I hear good things about it.

April, did you major in Photography while you were in school?
Does anyone know what kind of jobs you can get right out of school for photography?

At this point in time I would concentrate on school. Developing your work and style should be your main and only concern. As time goes on assisting or an internship will be part of the plan. Problem is the work is slightly constrictive in that you are working for someone else.

As far as a camera goes buy what you can afford as soon as possible. The camera is only a tool. Once you have some experience under your belt you will know exactly what you want.

LUV AND BASS

April, I just looked at your website. I'd love to talk to you some more, can I email you?

Yep, I got a BFA and my emphasis was in Photography. I have no problem on if you want to email, but just so you know, I have only been in business for myself for a year and a half or so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back