So now I'm a professional photographer.....what????

Chicagophotoshop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chicagophotoshop.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi my name is Jeff and I'm new around here. great forum BTW.:hugs:

for a few years I installed wireless antennas on top of highrise buildings in Chicago. as you might imagine, the view from the roof of these 90 story buildings is amazing. in the beginning I had a small Olympus 3MP camera with me. nothing special but still took some cool shots.

I have since left that job and work indoors. I also have upgraded to a NikonD100 and have a much higher appreciation for photography.

with the pics I have taken through the years, I am close to starting a website selling my pictures and the pics of whoever else would like to sell on my site.

at first it was all about the money. but more and more each day, I learn to appreciate the power of a good picture.

thanks all

From what I could gather the web is a tricky place to earn a living. Seems saturated with global competition. Possibly hard to stand out. Why don't you work your photos (not pictures) locally?

From what I could gather the web is a tricky place to earn a living. Seems saturated with global competition. Possibly hard to stand out.

by no means do I plan on doing this for a living. I have a day job.

Why don't you work your photos (not pictures) locally?
what do you mean?

Why do you consider yourself a professional photographer now then? I think I would slow down and concentrate on my photography for a while.
I dont. the title of my thread was somewhat sarcastic. the goal of my site is to showcase the beautiful city of chicago and beyond. if people want to buy them, great, the option is there. if real pros want to sell on my site, the platform is there.

as time has gone on, I have learned alot about photography and have a much higher appreciation for it. I will probably never consider myself a pro, but enthusiast, for sure.

just my .02 as far as the web site is concerned... a professional is going to sell their own work on their own site and not going to want to have their work associated or confused with amature work (I would think). If it were my site and my work was for sell (not that I consider myself a pro), I wouldn't want snapshots from someones Point-n-shoot on the same site and lower the value of my own images. Again this is just my opinion, I just think it's an odd idea to host others images.

just my .02 as far as the web site is concerned... a professional is going to sell their own work on their own site and not going to want to have their work associated or confused with amature work (I would think).
I think it can go either way. having your work (and name)out there on as many portals as possible can only add to your exposure, if the goal of the photographer is to sell as many photos as possible.

If it were my site and my work was for sell (not that I consider myself a pro), I wouldn't want snapshots from someones Point-n-shoot on the same site and lower the value of my own images. Again this is just my opinion, I just think it's an odd idea to host others images.
I intend on being somewhat picky about who sells what on my site. its not going to be a free for all.

I appreciate your input

Why do you consider yourself a professional photographer now then? I think I would slow down and concentrate on my photography for a while.

Thank you I was going to say the same thing. In your first post you said you were "close to setting up a site to sell your photos" when in your further post you said that you just wanted to showcase Chicago wich is it well no matter can we see some of your photos anyway.

Thank you I was going to say the same thing. In your first post you said you were "close to setting up a site to sell your photos" when in your further post you said that you just wanted to showcase Chicago wich is it well no matter can we see some of your photos anyway.
ok to be clear, I love taking pictures of chicago. I have been for awhile, I decided to start a website showcasing my pics and the great city I live in. I am giving the option for people to buy my photos. I wont be quitting my day job.

I am however offering others, amateur or professional, to sell their work on my site. I cant understand why some of you think its a bad idea?

the title of my thread was just me being sarcastic.

this is one of my favorites....you can see my condo in this pic hehe

ChicagoPhotoShop17.jpg

Well seeing your pics I can definately agree with what Matt said that you really need to concentrate on improving your photography before saying you are a pro and trying to sell your pics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back