so should I get it ot not? 35mm f1.8 nikkor

I bought the 50, but a week later got the 35 because it was just a little bit wider. It stays on my camera all the time, incredibly sharp, very fast and absolutely the best lens I own so far. Sold the 50 and never looked back.

Best advice? Go to a camera shop and try them all out.

I sold my 50 1.8 as well :lol:

Great lens but I don't find myself missing the 35 or the 50 now.

50mm's are weird like that. I love my 50/1.4, but I swear, 40% of the time it feel not wide enough and 40% of the time it feels not long enough. I feel like if I have a fast ~30mm and a fast ~85mm, instead of the one 50mm I would be much happier.

I love the 35mm. It's so cheap it's almost not even a question.

4062105853_44fe48c50c.jpg

wow! thanks everybody!!!

I like my 50mm f1.8 and wanted a bit more of a wide angle. Keep reading conflicting reviews about the 35 mm f 1.8
Does anyone have it and do you like it?

I bought the 50 and found that indoors there may not be enough room to back up to get the shot. I bought the 35 to get the extra width. I find the 35 to be quite sharp on a D300 and D70S. I loaned it to a friend and she liked it very much on her D80.

Although fairly close in focal width, I feel they complement each other rather than compete.

HTH

While we're pimping our work...

Taken with the 35/1.8, of course. It's an excellent lens. Reasonably quick AF, dead-silent AF action, full-time MF override, very sharp, and the only fault I can give it is some noticeable (but entirely correctable) barrel distortion.

Last edited:
I had a 50 mm and 35 mm nikor lens. Found out that they are too close in their focal lengths and I needed a wide angle. Traded the 50mm for a 28mm but wasn't able to satisfy my needs. Finally setled for a 24 mm 2.8 Nikkor and still happy using it.

Now I'm terribly confused. I was going to get the 50mm 1.8 nikon for portraits but now I'm thinking I should get the 35mm now and save for the 85mm later on? Why is it that the 35mm is more than the 50mm too? Thanks for this thread and to the op for bringing it up!

If you were doing a portrait with a small group, the 35 mm would be fine. If you were doing a portrait with one or maybe two the 50 mm would be a little better, tighter shot. The cost of these lenses are good enough to have both of them, I don't leave home without them, and I'm looking for the 85 mm 1.8 in the spring.

Post some pics!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back