so should I get it ot not? 35mm f1.8 nikkor

I've been looking at getting a prime lens, and can't seem to decide between 50mm and 35. However, as I've been looking it seems the current 35mm is a DX lens, but Nikon doesn't make a 50mm DX lens. The one 50mm 1.8 that they have in their "archives" is all over e-bay new for about $130 shipped, and as I understand it that works out to be about a 75mm on a DX camera right? So if I got the 35mm DX and the 50mm from ebay then for about $330 I could have a 35mm and 75mm that are both sharp and fast and that seems to me to be a wide enough difference to make it worth it owning both right?

I have a D90, btw with the kit lens (18-105), and have an older nikkor 28-105 3.5-5.6 as well as a sigma 70-300 at my disposal.

-tim

Stop thinking about conversion factors when looking for a lens. 50MM is 50MM no matter WHAT camera you mount it on; it is simply the CROP factor of a DX camera that will render the image as IF the lens mounted on it was 75MM (or whatever the conversion is for the camera you want). The crop comes from the camera NOT the lens: so a DX lens simply means it is made for DX cameras, not that it's actually 35MM on a DX body.

Also, do not go searching for a "DX" lens - any lens currently produced by Nikon will work on your camera; it is not something you need to be overly concerned with.

Most reactions

Back