So that's what it's for

This story may or may not be an urban legend but I don't doubt that it could happen. I just hate it when people take things to the extreme. Just remember that there are still people who believe the world is flat. Some religious schools actually have clubs based on it and will not listen to any proofs about how the world is round. :roll:

Big Mike said:
The fascinating part is that it seems the more protected the kids are, the more they rebel when they are in their teenage years. I have seen kids who had never used foul language...doing all sorts of drugs. And not to generalize, but catholic school girls...when they rebel against their parents...they boys rejoice.
I've actually noticed that myself. It's kind of like the drinking situation here in the USA. I don't mind drinking myself but I've heard that it's not as out of control and such a rebelious thing in countries that allow underaged drinking. I've been told that in those countries that drinking alchohol is so normal that it's not as big of a deal as it is here in the states. Basically for them it's more like 1-2 glasses for social drinking as opposed to binge party drinking as it is here. I'm sure they have binge drinking but I've been told that it's not as bad as it is here. Well, that's what I've heard.

This all reminds me of an ABC news report about sheltering children from money. In the report it stated that the biggest mistake parents make is to not teach their children about money, savings, or basically how to spend it properly while they are young. What happens is that when kids start to make their own money they start spending like crazy because they were never taught how to manage it...or on the flip side they give free money through allowances which only teaches them they can get money for doing nothing except possibly begging. Basically all of them have to "reinvent the wheel" and learn on their own instead of getting valueable lessons from their parents. Lecturing teenagers is a hard thing to do so it's best to teach them when they are young.

Good point about kids & money. It always infuriates me when I see young teenagers flaunting their parent's money, driving expensive cars etc. How are they supposed to learn the value of a dollar when they are handed things at such a young age. Maybe I'm a little bitter because I was never a "privileged" child myself.

I guess if I were well off, I'd like my kids to have nice things but there has to be a lesson somewhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back